Thứ Năm, 18 tháng 8, 2016

Can't boot Windows 7 after printer uninstallation part 1


kimouette

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new printer so I decided to go ahead and uninstall my previous printer,s drivers (using uninstall from the control panel menu). The printer was uninstalled successfully but then I was asked to reboot my computer to complete the uninstallation process. So I did that, but now I'm stuck on the main black screen and Windows 7 wont boot!

The black screen I am talking about is the screen where you can see your harddrive's information, RAM, mouse initialized ect... This is also where I can choose to go to the setup menu. But normally, Windows 7 automatically boots after that screen disappears. Now it doesn't!

So I read many threads on this forum and tried to use the setup repair cd method AND the Windows 7 installation cd method, none of them works since my computer wont boot from any of them!

I went into the setup menu and made sure the DVD drive was in first position... it is! And I can clearly hear the sound of the cd spinning when I turn on my computer, but nothing seems to work!

Anyone here understands what's happening? Or knows what else I could try??

Thanks for your help!
Kim



TVeblen

When you get stuck on the BIOS boot process before W7 loads, as you have, it indicates a hardware issue. But you would normally get a message if the hard drive was not found.

Are all printers and other USB connected devices unplugged from the back of the computer? Do so, especially either of the printers.

If you are comfortable working inside your case you should also check to be sure the cables attached to your hard drive are connected correctly.

Try this also: repeatedly press the F8 key as the computer boots - those BIOS screens - and see if you can get to the Windows startup menu.
Choose "Normal Startup" first, then "Last known good configuration" next if you can get there.

kimouette

Quote:
Are all printers and other USB connected devices unplugged from the back of the computer? Do so, especially either of the printers.
Yes they are. I have unplugged everything right after the first failure
Quote:
If you are comfortable working inside your case you should also check to be sure the cables attached to your hard drive are connected correctly.
I wouldn,t mind doing that, but I'm pretty sure my hard drive is ok. When the BIOS screen appears, it reads my HDD information (Pentiuam dual T2370 1.74Ghz or something like that). It also checks the RAM (4000MB ram passed) ect...
Quote:
repeatedly press the F8 key as the computer boots - those BIOS screens - and see if you can get to the Windows startup menu.
I tried to do that, but F8 doesn,t seem like a fonction on my computer. Is it possible that europeen computers use another key? Each time I press F8 on the BIOS screen I get a sound (a beep), which doesn,t sound right! And when all the information are shown (mouse initialized is the last thing written) F8 doesnt make any beep but it doesnt bring me anywhere

TVeblen

F8 is a Windows function - it bypasses the normal startup to give you additional options. I don't know why it would be different anywhere in the world.
So what you want to be doing is pressing the F8 key at the moment between when the BIOS boot finishes and Windows begins to load.

kimouette

That,s exactly what I did, but it doesn't do anything!

The only 2 options I have from there is either F1 (to enter setup menu) and F12 to enter the boot device selection menu.
F1 works, but F12 doesnt work. It gives me "Entering the boot device selection menu... " and nothing happens!

Anything I could try maybe from the setup menu? which seems to be the only thing working right now!

TVeblen

Yours is an uncommon problem, as I am sure you already know.

I have asked others on the forum to take a look. I'm sure someone who has seen this behavior before will take a look.

Hopalong X

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by kimouette View Post
That,s exactly what I did, but it doesn't do anything!

The only 2 options I have from there is either F1 (to enter setup menu) and F12 to enter the boot device selection menu.
F1 works, but F12 doesnt work. It gives me "Entering the boot device selection menu... " and nothing happens!

Anything I could try maybe from the setup menu? which seems to be the only thing working right now!
If I understand right your F1 takes you to set up menu- for Bios?
So I'm not sure what you refer to as set up menu.

Bios is "Delete" key on mine.

Anyway if you can get into Bios check to make sure your hard drive is recognized.
If it is check the boot order and make sure hard drive is listed.
CD/DVD is usually first then hard drive second.
That way you can boot a CD if necessary.
If no CD is detected it goes to the hard drive to boot so hard drive should be at least second in the list.

Worth a check if you can get into Bios.

kimouette

Ok maybe I was calling "bios screen" something that is not called that way!
I have to apologize, I'm french so I'm not completely used to these terms.

Instead I'll show you guys what I am talking about (sorry for the bad image quality I'm using a super cheap cell phone!)

This is (a portion of) the main black screen I was talking about. This is where I can choose from F1 (setup menu) or F12. Windows normally boots right after that page is shown
Name:  Main-ok.jpg  Views: 273  Size:  21.6 KB

F8 nor DELETE keys work for me

If I press F1, here is the HDD info I can see:
Name:  Bios-hdd-info.jpg  Views: 273  Size:  13.7 KB

If I choose the "boot section", this is what I see :
Name:  bios-boot-order.jpg  Views: 275  Size:  12.7 KB

So "normally" if I insert my Windows CD installation, it should be the first thing launched... but like I said, it doesn't work!

Golden

This is bizarre....from your BIOS I can see that your DVD drive is 1st boot order, yet it doesn't boot from a Windows 7 DVD? Is this DVD a retail version or OEM Rescue Disk?

What options do you see on the F1 Setup menu you mentioned?

Regards,
Golden

Hopalong X

Yes DVD is listed first in your picture.
SATA HDD is showing second in your last picture.

Also if you are on a wireless keyboard many times they will not give all the functions when running on the Bios firmware as you are now.
The Windows driver is not recognized properly.
Several times I have had to use my wired/plug-in keyboard when there is a problem with Windows for all "F" keys to work.
If you are using a wireless keyboard try a wired/plug-in keyboard and see if all the keys work.

If it works you can then enter F8 Step 3 here > Advanced Boot Options

Hopalong X

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
This is bizarre....from your BIOS I can see that your DVD drive is 1st boot order, yet it doesn't boot from a Windows 7 DVD? Is this DVD a retail version or OEM Rescue Disk?

What options do you see on the F1 Setup menu you mentioned?

Regards,
Golden
I'm not sure the disk will work.

If disk is pre SP1 and he has SP1 installed now?

Brink told me you needed to make a post SP1 Repair/recovery disk.
That is what I understood so I did for mine.

Post #73-74
System Repair Disc - Create


Golden
I'm not an expert on this type problem.
Finding what I can to help.

Where is Brink when you need him.



Hopalong X

kimouette

We are trying to help.
We will see if we can get more experienced people to assist.

Mike

kimouette

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
This is bizarre....from your BIOS I can see that your DVD drive is 1st boot order, yet it doesn't boot from a Windows 7 DVD? Is this DVD a retail version or OEM Rescue Disk?

What options do you see on the F1 Setup menu you mentioned?
Here are the other options I have:
Name:  DSC00045.jpg  Views: 100  Size:  13.8 KB
Name:  DSC00046.jpg  Views: 99  Size:  13.5 KB
To answer your question, my computer does NOT boot my orginal Windows 7 DVD. The other disk I have been trying to boot with is called "system repair disk": a disk I've been creating following that tutorial : Créer un disque de réparation système
Quote:
Also if you are on a wireless keyboard many times they will not give all the functions when running on the Bios firmware as you are now.
I'm using a laptop here. So the keyboard is integrated, not wireless

Hopalong X, what does pre SP1 mean?

Maybe some parts of my hardware are broken, but that would be a weird coincidence. What really initiated the problem is the uninstallation of my printer. Since I was asked to reboot my computer to complete the uninstallation, I guess something is trying to be ran and prevents my computer from launching anything else (dvd drive, windows 7, just anything else than that damn printer,s driver)

Hopalong X

SP1 is reference to- Windows 7 Service Pack1
So "Pre" is before SP1 was installed.

I didn't know it was a laptop.

kimouette

Tonight I'll take out the hdd and back up all my personal files on another computer using my hdd adaptor kit (I'll keep my fingers crossed until then... if my hdd is dead... that would be a nightmare!!!). But then I dont know what I'll do. Let,s say I have copied my files and now I want to do complete reinstall of Windows 7, how will I boot the dvd anyway?

What a terrible situation!! All I wanted was to uninstall my printer,s drivers!!

essenbe

Just as a suggestion. If you have access to another computer, follow this tutorial and see if you can boot from a USB drive. You will need your installation disk and a 4GB USB drive.

theog

Try ENABLED for SATA HDD AHCI Mode.

kimouette

Quote:
Just as a suggestion. If you have access to another computer, follow this tutorial and see if you can boot from a USB drive. You will need your installation disk and a 4GB USB drive.
I'll try that, after backing up my data of course
Quote:
Try ENABLED for SATA HDD AHCI Mode.
I enabled it but it doesn't change anything. Still cant boot from dvd.

essenbe

If it were me, I would boot into bios, load Optimized Defaults (usually F9), set the boot order to CD/DVD first and HD second and try it again.

Britton30

Hello, in any of the screens you see is there an option for System recovery or something to that effect? try entering that, but be aware that will revert your system to out of the box condition erasing all of your data and programs.

kimouette

All the options I have are on the pictures I showed you. Nothing like system recovery.

In the setup menu I've reset all settings to default though, but it doesn't change a thing.. except that now I have to press the "Lenovo care button" to enter the black screen since the main screen is now white with the big lenovo logo. But Windows and the dvd still won,t load.



theog

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Hello, in any of the screens you see is there an option for System recovery or something to that effect? try entering that, but be aware that will revert your system to out of the box condition erasing all of your data and programs.
Lenovo Recovery
Lenovo Support - How do I recover my factory installed programs and files? - Desktops and Workstations

karlsnooks

Since this is a Lenovo, then an idea would be to go to the Lenovo forum and to Lenovo support and see what info the have on your model.

Your problem is NOT Windows 7.

What you can do to look at your hard disk and extract data from there is go to a machine with Win 7 on that is a 32bit system if yours is 32 bit or go toa machine with Win 7 on it that is 64 bit if yours is 64 bit.

Once at that machine, you will do two things:
1. Make a SYSTEM REPAIR DISC. A system repair disc is NOT a system restore disc.

2. Put the contents of the System Repair Disc onto a correctly prepared USB stick.

Take that USB stick back to your laptop and see if you can boot from the USB stick.

DISC - CREATE A SYSTEM REPAIR DISC
START | type System Repair | Enter key | Create Disc button
=========================================================
===========================================================


PUT SYSTEM REPAIR DISC ON A USB STICK


TWO STEPS
1. Prepare the USB stick
2. Put contents of System Repair Disc on USB stick.

STEP ONE * PREPARE UFD (USB FLASH DRIVE)

Run CMD.EXE as administrator
Type following commands and hit ENTER key after each command.
DISKPART starts the DiskPart program
LIST DISK shows numeral assigned to disks
note the numeral assigned to your usb stick
The numeral 2 will be used in this example
SELECT DISK 2
DETAIL DISK the info shown will confirm the correctness of your selection
CLEAN ALL the entire usb stick will be overwritten with zeros
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY create a primary partition on the USB stick
FORMAT FS=NTFS format the partition
ACTIVE the partition can contain operating system startup files
ASSIGN the next available letter is assigned to the USB stick
EXIT exit from the DISKPART program
EXIT exit from the command shell

STEP TWO � PUT SYSTEM REPAIR DISC ON UFD

Using Windows Explorer,
Copy M:\boot to E:\
Copy M:\sources to E:\
Copy M:\bootmgr to E:\
where M:\ is your CD/DVD drive
where E:\ is your UFD

Easiest is to simply drag from M:\ to E:\ and choose �copy�

kimouette

Seems like the "Product Recovery program" is not on my computer and I dont necesseraly wish to contact Lenovo to buy a CD. I found the menu where it should normally be lauched though (F11)
-img_0376.jpg
but it brings me on a black screen and nothing happens

F12 (to choose a temporary startup device) also brings me on a black screen

so F1 remains my only option

My harddrive is fine, I just did a backup of all my personal data using my hdd kit.
I have another hardrive that I wish to use for a system image recovery.
I found the tutorial here : System Image Recovery but since I cant launch Windows 7 nor open a command prompt at boot, I have no idea how I can manage to recover from my other HDD.

I'll try the suggestion made earlier (the USB Windows 7 installation key drive) but I doubt my computer will allow me to boot from the usb key (just like it fails with the DVD)... but I'll give it a try


Edit : oops no I cant use the USB method since it requires to launch a command promp

kimouette

Maybe I should mention that my other computer is a Powerbook (so a Mac) which doesn't allow me a create a system repair disc.

essenbe

In your bios see if there is an option to boot from a legacy device. Make sure that is enabled. Also, In the screenshot above it says F11 to diagnose hardware. You may want to attempt that. If it works we will at least know if it is a hardware problem as I suspect it is. When you get the USB made, go back to that same screen and choose F12. That may get you to boot to the USB.

kimouette

Like I said I have another hdd that I can plug with a usb cable and that hdd is a complete system image of my computer 3 months ago. Cant I do anything with that?

Britton30

May be your hard drive bit the dust since nothing has worked, and should have. I believe you'd need to get to windows to use your image. Your CD drive doesn't work so a Partition Wizard boot disk won't work either. I'm stumped. If you can do it, you can try replacing your hard drive and see what happens when trying to boot.

You can also try plugging in the USB drive and booting.

All of this happened just by uninstalling printer software and rebooting?

theog

If the F11 option is not working, is the HD showing BIOS?

kimouette

If showing the BIOS means that I can read infos about my HDD while in setup (F11), than yes it does : Can't boot Windows 7 after printer uninstallation
Quote:
May be your hard drive bit the dust since nothing has worked, and should have. I believe you'd need to get to windows to use your image. Your CD drive doesn't work so a Partition Wizard boot disk won't work either. I'm stumped. If you can do it, you can try replacing your hard drive and see what happens when trying to boot.

You can also try plugging in the USB drive and booting.
I doubt that my HDD is causing all this. I bought it couple of months ago and it never showed any signs of weakness. Plus, I just plugged it into my Mac and recovered all the data I wanted so it does work correctly.

I'm currently trying the USB thing. I found an iso of Windows 7 32bit and also found the command lines needed to create a bootable USB key with a Mac (yes everything is complicated) and the iso is currently being transfered on the usb key. This is taking forever! But after that I'll plug it into my PC, go to setup and check if I have any option and then I'll try to boot with it!

I'll post my results as soon as I can
Quote:
All of this happened just by uninstalling printer software and rebooting?
Unbelievable but YES. That stupid HP driver really messed up my computer!

Britton30

Test your HD using maker's diagnostics/repair CD extended scan which will autostart on its own: HD Diagnostic

You can write your Win7 DVD to USB flash stick using Ultra ISO trial version: on File tab select Open DVD, on Bootable select Write Disk Image, Format, Write. Boot under USB or HD. From Repair console on second screen run Startup Repair repeatedly.

You can retrieve your files if the flashstick boots: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console. If not Paragon Rescue CD will autostart without having to boot it. Paragon rescue disk; change drive letter; recover data

You can then wipe the HD using free Partition Wizard bootable CD which will also autostart on its own.

Now the Win7 DVD will also autostart on its own to clean reinstall:
Reinstalling Windows 7



TVeblen

Thanks Greg, I forgot the Paragon atack.

kimouette

Hi again. Just got back in from work. Glad to see you got more help.

From everything you've said it certainly seems like a hardware failure, and my feeling is it is on the motherboard - probably the SATA controller. That would explain the laptop not recognizing any drives, Hard drive or DVD.

There is hope however that the issue could be in the BIOS (the BIOS is the basic instruction set that makes a computer function and use all it's parts. The screens you see when you press F1 takes you into the BIOS setup. This is where you can change the settings for how the computer uses it's parts.)

Sometimes the BIOS settings get corrupted - and while rare, software can do it - and the computer will not start. A common fix is to restore the BIOS to original default settings. On a desktop this is accomplished by performing a CLR CMOS. A laptop is done differently.

Try this:
  • Turn off the laptop
  • Unplug the power supply
  • Remove the laptop battery
  • Press and hold the POWER button down for a good 20-30 seconds (to drain all power from the motherboard)
  • Then reconnect everything and try to startup again.
If the laptop will not recognize the Hard drive or any bootable CD/DVD after this then I must suspect the hardware problem.

Also: see if you have or can borrow any bootable CD/DVD - even a Windows XP CD and try it. You just want to know if a CD/DVD can be recognized.

Britton30

TVeblen, thanks for pointing out the motherboard. I think we can clearly see the problem now. I followed your suggestion and guess what? Ever since I drained out all the energy from the motherboard, the computer simply wont power up now!! It's either that or, the power adapter died while I was draining the power out of the mother board... that would just be the weirdess coincidence

Anyway, I had the time to test the usb method, I even went into the BIOS and change the boot order to make sure the USB drive was in first position, but of course the computer wouldn,t let me boot from the USB key.

Just in case someone has a Mac and wants to created a bootable windows 7 for a flash drive... find a free Windows7 image somewhere on the net (.iso) and follow that procedure :
Quote:
1. Open a Terminal (under Utilities) 2. Run diskutil list and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)
3. Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN (replace N with the disk number from the last command; in the previous example, N would be 2)
4. Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.iso of=/dev/diskN bs=1m (replace /path/to/downloaded.iso with the path where the image file is located; for example, ./windows7.iso)
5. Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes (this can take a few hours on slower drives)
Now that I cant even power up my computer, I guess I can just take the RAM and the HDD out of it (I changed them recently, they were pretty expensive) and find myself a new laptop.

kimouette

Just a thought...did you replace the battery?
Hey, I've done silly stuff too.

Like trying to power up my PC after a hardware change, with no power cable or leaving something disconnected inside.

Britton30

LOL!!

Oh my god!! LOL. Is there a camera in my living room?
LOL! I cant stop laughing.

Britton, you were right! lol

I replaced the battery, but the god damn power adapter was'nt connected to the wall plug
If you saw my living room, you would understand how something that stupid can happend : cables, external hdd, USB adapters, printers, boxes, usb cables, cds and dvds, mouses and power adapters are hanging all over my living room, seriously you have to watch where to put your feet!

Ok so I'm back to square 1. The computer cannot boot the USB nor the DVD nor Windows 7.

Did I mention that you guys are great? Really, Thanks for all the suggestion, lots of solution have been pointed out. But I think all I can do now is bring my laptop to a technician and ask him to test my motherboard. If that part is the problem, I'll just buy a new computer, if he finds something else that I can replace for a good price, I'll buy it.

Thanks everyone!!

kimouette

*Whistles innocently* See?

Anyway, can you try Gregrocker's idea using Paragon? sound like a good approach.

Britton30

I downloaded the "rk_free_e.exe" from their website but since I'm using a Mac I'm not sure how to complete the procedure. I think I'm supposed to execute that file before burning it on a CD... Is that it? Or should I simply burn an image disc with the exe file ?

kimouette

I don't know. Greg is the guru on that kind of stuff, hopefully he'll chime in again for you. I've not used it myself, but many here have.
I would think the MAC should burn the CD for you. His links may have more info in them. I would expect the file would install some software which would then guide you to the disk creation.

Guest

Ok I did it
The file was burn correctly (using Virtual PC on my Mac). Then inserted the cd in my Lenovo, powered the pc, but I'm still stuck on the Lenovo welcome page and the cd stops spinning after couple of seconds and nothing happens.
Greg mentionned something about changing the drive letter. Can I do that from the BIOS page?

TVeblen

No, you can only do that (change drive letter) from inside the program, or Windows.

Curious: beside the comic relief, when you reinstalled the battery but did not plug in the power supply you said the laptop would not power on at all. Do you think that battery is dead (not charging)?

Try removing the battery and just using the power supply. Although I can't think of why that would change anything, I've been surprised before!



kimouette

I just followed your suggestion.. and just as you thought, it didnt make any difference!
I know my battery is almost dead. Trying to power up the computer when disconnected doesnt work. If I unplug it while it is already turned on I have about 20 seconds before it starts warning me and about 1 minute before it completely shuts down.

That is another problem, not bothering me as much as the "cant boot anything" kind of problem though

kimouette

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by kimouette View Post
Ok I did it
The file was burn correctly (using Virtual PC on my Mac). Then inserted the cd in my Lenovo, powered the pc, but I'm still stuck on the Lenovo welcome page and the cd stops spinning after couple of seconds and nothing happens.
Greg mentionned something about changing the drive letter. Can I do that from the BIOS page?
I suggested using Paragon Rescue which will autostart on its own to copy out your files if you can't use the DVD or Repair CD method also linked.

It's drive-letter correction function is only if the correct drive letter changes which is not the case here.

I would concentrate on booting correctly the DVD, cd and Flash Stick as this may be the problem: How to Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD

Try also the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key to trigger booting, which on Lenovo is the blue Thinkvantage button.

Are you getting the prompt to "Press Any Key..." If so then find a Windows computer, confirm the ISO integrity and burn to DVD using ImgBurn at 4x speed, or write to flash stick using this tool: Universal USB Installer � Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

TVeblen

I'm about to give up!

The technicians that inspected my computer (and took 4 days to do so), are now telling me that they have no idea what's wrong with my computer

I spoke to another technician that asked me what were the symptoms :
- Cant boot anything (Windows 7, USB key, any bootable DVD or cd, system repair on cds and dvds), simply nothing!!
Without even seeing my computer he told me my motherboard was dead and told me to buy a new computer.

Am I naive to simply trust this guy and buy a new computer? Or does this all make sens?

kimouette

In post #33 of this thread I suspected it could be a motherboard component failure.

But you don't just suspect something and act. You run some tests, do some diagnostics first. Once all possible solutions are tried and no results then you are left will the only logical conclusion: significant hardware failure.

You've done those tests. And if you had semi-competent techs physically look at the machine and they could not get it working then it is certainly not something simple, and that means you would need a much more highly skilled technician who could repair a motherboard.

And that's where the matter of cost comes in and buying a new laptop becomes more logical economically.

kimouette

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by kimouette View Post
Ok I did it
The file was burn correctly (using Virtual PC on my Mac). Then inserted the cd in my Lenovo, powered the pc, but I'm still stuck on the Lenovo welcome page and the cd stops spinning after couple of seconds and nothing happens.
Greg mentionned something about changing the drive letter. Can I do that from the BIOS page?
I suggested using Paragon Rescue which will autostart on its own to copy out your files if you can't use the DVD or Repair CD method also linked.

It's drive-letter correction function is only if the correct drive letter changes which is not the case here.

I would concentrate on booting correctly the DVD, cd and Flash Stick as this may be the problem: How to Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD

Try also the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key to trigger booting, which on Lenovo is the blue Thinkvantage button.

Are you getting the prompt to "Press Any Key..." If so then find a Windows computer, confirm the ISO integrity and burn to DVD using ImgBurn at 4x speed, or write to flash stick using this tool: Universal USB Installer � Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
Why do you just ignore these steps I took the time to type out for you?

If you want to determine with certainty what's wrong you've got to follow the steps, report back or ask questions to get them done.

Guest

Quote:
I suggested using Paragon Rescue which will autostart on its own to copy out your files if you can't use the DVD or Repair CD method also linked.

It's drive-letter correction function is only if the correct drive letter changes which is not the case here.

I would concentrate on booting correctly the DVD, cd and Flash Stick as this may be the problem: How to Boot your Computer from a Bootable CD or DVD

Try also the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key to trigger booting, which on Lenovo is the blue Thinkvantage button.

Are you getting the prompt to "Press Any Key..." If so then find a Windows computer, confirm the ISO integrity and burn to DVD using ImgBurn at 4x speed, or write to flash stick using this tool: Universal USB Installer � Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
I did not ignore these suggestions, I already tried them!!

Paragon Rescue wont load at all! The cd spins for 5 seconds and stops
I already tried to boot both from a flash drive and from a bootable CD. These 2 things took me an entire night, they don't work
I already tried everything I could from the BIOS menu (and from the Lenovo care-button). It suggests me to run a diagnosis or to run the pre-boot service partition... both options brought me on a black screen, and nothing happens
No I never get the "Press Any Key..." message, otherwise I would be glad to press a key to run a CD !!

All these suggestions were very helpful in terms of "what I should do before giving up" but unfortunately the problem seems to be related to some piece of malfunctioning hardware.

Guest

Did you see if Partition Wizard CD will autostart to wipe the HD, which will force the Win7 installation DVD or Recovery Disks to autostart on its own?

Guest

Yes I have tried that. The Partition Wizard CD, just like every other CD, will start spining and then stop on a black screen

Guest

Can you change out your Optical Drive with another?

Have you tried writing the Win7 DVD to a USB flash stick on a Windows computer? Just install this program, select Win7 in dropdown and format then write stick: Universal USB Installer � Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

What are the exact results of then trying to boot with the stick, which should be listed under USB or HD's in BIOS Setup boot order or one-time BIOS Boot Menu key?

If it will boot, run Startup Repair

Britton30

Hi again Kim. It may help if, during the time you are trying to boot, take a pic of each full screen that appears, not a close up.
I'm thinking as Greg, your CD drive may have bit the dust. This would be far more common than the mother board going bad, but that could happen too.



TVeblen

But she has already told us she can't boot USB sticks either!

TVeblen

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
But she has already told us she can't boot USB sticks either!
She tried to write the flash stick using an Apple computer. I suggested she try to find a Windows computer to use the simplest method, and provide feedback on what happens when trying to boot the stick.

Or perhaps she can borrow a DVD drive to swap in.

Any other ideas?

kimouette

Both good ideas Greg.
If it were me I would certainly exhaust all possible solutions before buying a new machine.

I'm not very familiar with Apple stuff. I can't see how an ISO burned on a CD on a Mac would be any diiferent that one burned on a PC. But I can see how a USB boot stick could be written in the wrong format, so that is definitely a good test for the OP to run, just to be sure.

Britton30

Got it!!
We were all looking at the wrong component. All my fault since I said the HDD was looking fine (the bios showed information about it + I managed to use my universal USB kit to extract my folders from it using another computer). But another technician simply swapped my hdd with another one and he says everything looks fine now!

That's weird, I mean the other guy didn't even try that? And why the hell was I able to make it work just as if it was an external hd using my usb kit? In other words, mechanically it works fine, but just cant boot anything with it.

I still haven't seen it with my own eyes, but this afternoon I'll pick up my computer and buy a new hdd and will install Windows 7. I cant wait to hear the sound of the Windows 7 installation cd spin and see something else than a black screen after that!!

I'm so happy that the motherboard is ok and no need to buy a new computer!!!


Just for the info, the bootable usb boot stick I created with my Mac, is just fine. The commands I wrote in a previous post are the ones to use in order to create a bootable usb stick under Mac os X, just like if you were using a PC. I checked the infos on my Mac, it is now a bootable UDF volume that can only be reformated under Windows.

It sucks that in the end all those software and bios modification were useless in my case, but I guess all these suggestions you guys made will be usefull for someone else in search of solutions for a boot problem.

Thanks soooo much for not giving up with me and for all the precious solutions!

kimouette

Woo Hoo! Hope it work fine for you Kim. I'm not sure I have followed all you said, but if you were trying to boot from a USB HDD, that won't work, you can use an eSATA port to boot an external drive though. By this I mean a hard drive, not a flash drive.
Good luck and let us know.

essenbe

Oh my god I'm back to square one and I just lost 85$ for another hdd

I put the new hdd in my computer and installed Windows 7 using the installation CD. So everything was working fine until I tried to do a system image recovery !!!!

I managed to install Windows 7 normally and the hdd is brand new, so this time I KNOW the problem does NOT come from my hdd. I boot the Windows 7 installation cd again and chose system recovery while my old hdd was plugged in my computer (with my universal USB adapter kit, which used to work just fine everytime I wanted to restore my system). So the restore is completed after couple of minutes and I get the usual message saying (restore completed, your computer will restart in 25 seconds) and after that delay the computer reboots and I'm back on the frozen Lenovo screen!!

At that point I thought I could just forget about the restoration and simply re-install windows 7 and reinstall everything from scratch, but the god damn CD stops spinning, the USB no longer is detected and I can ONLY access the BIOS. EXACTLY like it was when the problem occurred couple of days ago.

I guess there is a virus or something on my hdd, but it cant just kill my new HDD. How can I reformat it??? Or do these symptoms show another problem?

I hate myself for even trying to recover my old system!!! What the hell is happening?

kimouette

Read this tutorial ready HD/SSD for reinstall. Just be aware that when you run the 'clean all' command, it will take several hours to complete. So nothng is wrong. It will get rid of a virus if there is one there. And don't connect the old hard drive.

Guest

If you had successfully reinstalled Win7 on the new HD, why were you trying to do a System Image Recovery on top of it? You want to do one or the other - both cannot exist together.

Unplug the old HD, boot the Win7 installation DVD and try reinstalling again to the new HD. Reinstalling Windows 7

If this fails try wiping the new HD as Essenbe suggests - it might have been already infected by the failed reimaging. If install then works, keep the old HD unplugged until it is thoroughly disinfected by booting it alone to run Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper

Guest

Quote:
If you had successfully reinstalled Win7 on the new HD, why were you trying to do a System Image Recovery on top of it? You want to do one or the other - both cannot exist together.
Maybe I'm missing something but when simply putting the new hdd in my computer and run the Windows installation cd it would not let me choose my other hdd (plugged with usb adapter) in "system image recovery"(it did not detect it on any of my 4 usb ports). And that's why I installed Windows 7 .
And since after installing Windows 7 it would then let me choose my hdd, well I thought maybe I was just ignorant thinking I could restore my computer while the new HDD didnt have Windows installed.

And there is one important information I forgot to mention... The HDD I'm plugging with my adapter (the one I want to restore my computer with) is not the last one I was using but another one I've used to create a system image backup. Since I've used it twice and never got any problem, until last week, I thought it was 100% clean. And it sure saves me hours of app installation.
It's so weird that now it infects 2 different hdd
Quote:
Unplug the old HD, boot the Win7 installation DVD and try reinstalling again to the new HD
That's the first thing I tried after I noticed the screen was stuck on the lenovo page. But guess what? It wont load the Windows cd anymore!!
Quote:
Read this tutorial ready HD/SSD for reinstall. Just be aware that when you run the 'clean all' command, it will take several hours to complete. So nothng is wrong. It will get rid of a virus if there is one there. And don't connect the old hard drive.
I still haven't read that tutorial carefully, but I think it starts by either booting a dvd or launching a command prompt... and I'm afraid that's not something I can do.

Now the only solution I can think of in order to atleast save the new hdd I paid for, is to find another pc and reformat my hdd with it. After that I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I can put it in my computer and run Windows 7 installation cd again. Of course I wont even try to a system image recovery... but since I had 3 partitions all set up the way I needed them to be, it is gonna take me days to set them up!

essenbe

I don't know if this will work. take the hard drive out of the laprop and put it into the usb. With the usb connected and no hard drive try to boot the installation DVD. If you can and it will show the USB hard drive, at the first wndow hold down shift and push F10, if you get a command prompt, type diskpart in a second it will reply diskpart. Type list disk it shuld show only one, the USB if it works on the left there will be a number it should be 0. Type select disk 0 it should say disk 0 is the selected disk. type clean all and then go have lunck. when it finishes (it will take several hours) close out the DVD, reinstall the hard drive into the computer and you should be able to boot. That will wipe out any virus on your computer.



kimouette

Essenbe I tried what you suggested (and thought it was a very good idea by the way!) but unfortunately with no hdd inside my computer the Windows DVD would not load.

BUT

Guess what?

I;m currently writing this post with my PC!!!


I took the new HDD (the one corrupted by my image recovery attempt) and plugged it into my Mac, after hours of trying to run drivers that would allow my Mac to format an external hdd in NTFS format, I gave up and simply ran Virtual PC, which does not always work smoothly and often is soooooooo slow that I never know whether it's frozen or just normal! So I ran virtual pc (that has Windows xp installed) and the 3 partitions from my hdd were detected, So i right-clicked on each of them (one at the time) and selected format (NTFS, 4096 bytes) and after 4 hours the 3 partitions were formatted. The I put back my, now clean, hdd in my Pc and could run my Windows DVD!!

So now my computer is empty... but it;s working!! Let's hope something weird does'nt happen in the next few weeks!

By the way Im going on vacation tomorrow and realllly needed to access my computer BEFORE I left, so even though it;s a little bit last minute, the timing works fine for me!

Thanks to each of you who took the time to make suggestions and to everyone who took the time to read my 48239732 posts!


essenbe

I'm glad you got it working and hope it will stay that way. Get a good Anti virus program installed so you don't get another virus! And, be careful what you download and from where. Good luck.

essenbe

If you're prone to infection in addition to a good lightweight AV like free Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast 6, I'd also run the paid version of Malwarebytes to get the real-time shield. At the least, run a full scan monthly.

Magron

What Greg is suggesting is a good recomendation. That is what I use MSE and Malwarebytes. I also run a full scan with both at least once a week. Many here recommend those programs.

Magron

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you're prone to infection in addition to a good lightweight AV like free Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast 6, I'd also run the paid version of Malwarebytes to get the real-time shield. At the least, run a full scan monthly.
Seriously? The conventional wisdom for years has been to avoid multiple AV programs running at the same time. The unique way they handle security can be a problem when they bump into each other.
Not trying to be rude or anything but I like to get to the bottom of it when 'wisdom' changes.
MSE does have a realtime shield BTW.

essenbe

MSE is an Anti-Virus.

Malwarebytes is not.

They play well together and are used in tandem by many of us here.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
MSE is an Anti-Virus.

Malwarebytes is not.

They play well together and are used in tandem by many of us here.
? it is according to their website

Malwarebytes products have a proven record of protecting computers by completely removing all forms of malware, including viruses, Trojans, spyware, adware and rootkits.

But I suppose a proven track record of playing well together does make the point moot.

Guest

I've asked our top security experts to comment on this as they can explain it better and will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for bringing it up so we can get it clarified and not just work from Forum's hearsay.

Guest

Greg, heresay or not, I use them both and have never had a virus, like many of the others here. It has been proven to work well. To me, that removes it from the catagory of heresay. Of course paying attention to where you go, and what you download and from whom helps too.

Magron

Absolutely. And in any case, 'Forum Hearsay' in a place like this is usually pretty dependable. A proven track record of these two particular AV programs playing well together, as observed by people who have an idea what they're looking at, pretty much answers my original question.
As hoped, a bit of discussion has enlightened me.
Thanks.



essenbe

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Magron View Post
Absolutely. And in any case, 'Forum Hearsay' in a place like this is usually pretty dependable. A proven track record of these two particular AV programs playing well together, as observed by people who have an idea what they're looking at, pretty much answers my original question.
As hoped, a bit of discussion has enlightened me.
Thanks.
That's why we are all here. I learn something every day, from the best 'experts' on the internet. If you're like me, hang around, you'll learn alot of things. When I first found the site, I started reading the tutorials. After the first couple I said 'I had no idea you could do that with windows 7', and I thought I knew it pretty well.

essenbe

Thanks Steve. It will still be educational to know where the A/V leaves off and a Malware scanner takes up, or if there is even a distinction.

Many add SuperAntiSpyware for better spyware protection. Will three shields conflict at all?

Britton30

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Thanks Steve. It will still be educational to know where the A/V leaves off and a Malware scanner takes up, or if there is even a distinction.

Many add SuperAntiSpyware for better spyware protection. Will three shields conflict at all?
I really don't know as I've never tried it. But I do know that MSE gets along with almost anything else. A few years ago I used Norton 360, and it said it wouldn't work with any other AV. It worked very well with MSE that I had installed also. I haven't found anything, in my experience, that MSE didn't get along with.

Jacee

All mentioned can be included under the umbrella term Anti Virus. A/V has come to mean any security software than can detect and remove viruses, Trojans, root kits, key loggers, web crawlers, spiders, bots, etc. Most of us, including me, call everything a virus.

All use different detection engines and definition files and heuristic rules, so all are not equal. some can't remove what it detects and some will detect far less than another.

I have found MSE does do well with other real-time A/Vs, that is, one which is "on" and actively scanning all the time. Most others don't, though, and will either not be dependable or crash your system. Generally though, it is not a good practice to run more than one simultaneously.

For my own systems I use Norton Internet Security but run MalwareBytes and Super AntiSpyware on demand scanners regularly. On the VM I have with XP mode on, I have only MSE installed.

Back in thw Windows 98 days, I found Norton to be really bad, slow, and a resource hog. I switched to McAfee for 98 and it wotked well. Since XP though, I've been with Norton and many have reported issues with Win 7 and McAfee.

NOTE: It is prohibited to discuss then on SF, but anti adware products are a different class of animal. They are normally very poor and make browser displays nearly unuseable

Magron

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Magron View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you're prone to infection in addition to a good lightweight AV like free Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast 6, I'd also run the paid version of Malwarebytes to get the real-time shield. At the least, run a full scan monthly.
Seriously? The conventional wisdom for years has been to avoid multiple AV programs running at the same time. The unique way they handle security can be a problem when they bump into each other.
Not trying to be rude or anything but I like to get to the bottom of it when 'wisdom' changes.
MSE does have a realtime shield BTW.
"MBAM is antimalware software that is designed to fill in the gaps left by antivirus software"
Please read this .... Is AntiMalwareBytes an Anti Virus program? - Malwarebytes Forum

Britton30

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Magron View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you're prone to infection in addition to a good lightweight AV like free Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast 6, I'd also run the paid version of Malwarebytes to get the real-time shield. At the least, run a full scan monthly.
Seriously? The conventional wisdom for years has been to avoid multiple AV programs running at the same time. The unique way they handle security can be a problem when they bump into each other.
Not trying to be rude or anything but I like to get to the bottom of it when 'wisdom' changes.
MSE does have a realtime shield BTW.
"MBAM is antimalware software that is designed to fill in the gaps left by antivirus software"
Please read this .... Is AntiMalwareBytes an Anti Virus program? - Malwarebytes Forum
I think we lost the terminology battle when 'hackers' became bad guys.
These days *or rather..since then... I just go with the flow.....

essenbe

Good info Jacee. this explains why MBAM finds baddies when other programs don't.

Corrine

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Good info Jacee. this explains why MBAM finds baddies when other programs don't.
Yes it is. Probably as good an explanation as you are going to get.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Magron View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you're prone to infection in addition to a good lightweight AV like free Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast 6, I'd also run the paid version of Malwarebytes to get the real-time shield. At the least, run a full scan monthly.
Seriously? The conventional wisdom for years has been to avoid multiple AV programs running at the same time. The unique way they handle security can be a problem when they bump into each other.
Not trying to be rude or anything but I like to get to the bottom of it when 'wisdom' changes.
MSE does have a realtime shield BTW.
Hi, Magron.

While you are correct in saying that multiple A/V programs, programs with real-time protection and multiple software firewall programs can cause conflicts, although Microsoft Security Essentials is an anti-virus program, the engine used for real-time protection is the Windows Defender engine. That engine provides anti-spyware protection, not anti-malware protection such as that included in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. In addition, MBAM is not an anti-virus program. Thus, there is no conflict between the two.

As noted, the real-time protection provided by MBAM is only in the paid/licensed version. It is, however, a one-time license fee.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét