Thứ Năm, 18 tháng 8, 2016

Win 7/HDD setup- separate partition for data? part 1


coldengrey

Need advice on Windows 7 64 install/HDD setp - separate partition for data?
Background, ect:
- 500GB HDD (Dell Laptop)
-
- Main goal: Backup/Restore versatility and ease, as well as performance considerations
--> I frequently install a lot of software and want a simple way to restore os if software slows down or conflicts with system...

* First, not quite 100% clear on some basic fundamentals...
Q1) Do programs get installed on boot partition or data partition?
Have read some guides that are suggesting programs go with data partition.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of isolating user data so OS could be restored easily?

Q2) With 500GB (notebook) and 750gb usb back up device
What sizes would you guys recommend I make the partitions?
Q2a) Is there ANY way to resize a given partition if running out of space on one of the two? (Use backup maybe to restore following repartition? Lotta hassle, no?)

Q3) Windows 7 Disk management capable and ideal to handle partition jobs?
If not, what software do you recommend and why?
* I do have access to Acronis Disc Director and Paragon disc manager

THANKS!!!



DocBrown

Welcome coldengrey

Check this

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

karlsnooks

coldengray,

Welcome to SevenForums.

Yes, you should keep your programs and system on one partition and everything else on other partitions.

The tool that we recommend for sizing partitions is PARTITION WIZARD.

There are tutorials here on Partition Wizard.

Be sure to put Partition Wizard on to a CD and boot from the CD when you get ready to change partition sizes.

But you will not need Partition Wizard, if you have NOT already installed Win 7.

There are also some excellent tutorials here on preparing your drive for the installation of Win 7 and during the preparation you will be able to create partitions as you desire.

The tutorials will present you with several possiblities.

I have a system partition with all of my programs in that partition. The size of the partition of 60 GB and I don't even use half of that.

I do "relocate" my libraries, for documents, pictures, videos, music over to another partition.

There is also a tutorial here on relocating your libraries.

Keeping system and data separate gives you more flexibility when you want to backup your system and/or your data.

I use Microsoft Backup and Restore exclusively for backing up my system partition. Although I could also use Windows Backup and Restore for backing up my data, I prefer to roll my own batch file and use the Robocopy command which is the modern version of XCOPY.

Some of the other chaps here keep the necessary links ready to just feed them to you.

I'm sure they will come in here with those links.

If you have further questions and questions arising from reading the tutorials, I'll throw in my two cents worth.

essenbe

User Folders - Change Default Location
You can do as Karlsnooks does and use windows backup and restore, you can use copy/paste, robocopy. or I use free Microsoft Synctoy.

nolakenoforest

I agree with Karlsnook pretty much. Keep the programs and system together on the C: drive.

Evidently, 60 gig is a pretty good number for the C: drive. I was going to say 100, but I don't run the 64 bit version. You want to keep some extra depending on how much software you install. Even if you left 150 gig for the system drive, that leave 350 for data. That's a LOT of data!

I have found that Win7 Disk Management usually is sufficient. But, if you have been using the machine for awhile, you might not be able to free up the other +-400 gig because a file has left a portion of data on a sector near the end of the drive. In that case, you would need the Acronis Disk Manager.

essenbe

I agree. I have an SSD and therefore to save space (among other things) So I keep a seperate data drive for user folders. My SSD has a total of about 25GB on it because I keep nothing but the OS and programs. So 60 to 80 GB are sufficient for an OS drive, unless you install an awful lot of programs.

jimbo45

It's a personal choice, but I always install programs to the Windows partition (Microsoft reckon on 40GB minimum for Windows x64, but between 100-200GB is more practical) and then keep all my personal stuff on a separate data partition.

You mention you install and uninstall programs on a regular basis so you might want to consider a third-party uninstaller such a Revo, which scans the registry afterwards giving you the opportunity to delete any file fragments left over. You can download the free version here: Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

I can't comment on Acronis or Paragon as I haven't used either, but Windows disk management will do pretty much anything you want in terms of partition sizes if the configuration is carried out during the Windows installation.

When Windows has been installed, the disk management tool becomes less effective.

Karlsnook has given good, practical advice.

whs

Hi there

Tip -- W7 usually makes a small 100 MB (not GB !!) system boot partition - which some people consider a nuisance when they want a nice easy simple image to backup their OS on.

Here's how to re-partition and get rid of it WITHOUT re-installing Windows.

So what to do in this case is

1) BACKUP existing system and data with something like acronis. Ensure you have the BOOTABLE stand alone recovery program as you are going to restore from the bootable media.

2) Boot partition mamager from USB / CD / ext Disk.

3) CREATE A SINGLE PARTITION FOR THE WHOLE DRIVE and format it --- note we aren't going to leave it like this but for this phase it will prevent windows from creating the system 100 MB hidden partition.

4) Restore the backup you made in step 1 -- just RESTORE the C partition to the whole partition -- ignore the hidden system partition and any DATA partitions backed up in step 1.

ENSURE ALSO THAT THIS PARTITION IS SET TO ACTIVE by the recovery program

If you don't do this then it won't work and you will be hosed up. If your recovery software doesn't allow you to set the partition as Active THEN AFTER YOU'VE RESTORED THE "C" DRIVE ( REBOOT the partition mamager and set the partition to active).

5) Now boot windows -- it will fail because W7 won't find the boot partition -- tha's OK because we then re-boot using the W7 install / recovery disk where it will create boot info on the "C" partition without creating another hidden partition.

6) finally boot Windows after the repair to check that it boots normally ---- we haven't finished yet as you don't want the entire disk to be a single "C" partition.

7) reboot the partition manager to shrink / resize the "C" partition to what you want --suggest around 50 - 70 GB is ample even for quite large W7 installations.

8) create "D" and any other partitions you might need and format.

9) re-boot windows and restore your data partition(s) (you can also do this after step 8 with the bootable restore program if you haven't got a windows version of it.

10) Job done.

Note you should always keep the OS in its own partition AWAY FROM USER DATA such as music etc -- that way re-installing the OS means you don't have to recover your private data.

Cheers

jimbo

karlsnooks

This video tutorial may help ( Data Partition ). And for the OS partition you will not need more than 60GBs (100GBs if you have big games). But Disk Management may not let you shrink the C partition sufficiently. For that you can use Partition Wizard that was linked earlier.

Besides moving the standard user folders (Documents, Music, etc.) to the new data partition, you can also create completely new folders for your files on the Data Partition and INCLUDE those into the corresponding libraries. I prefer this method because it has certain advantages and zero risks.

PS: Before you manipulare the C partition, I recommend to image it. There is always a risk that something goes wrong.

Guest

if, before running the Win 7 install, you partition you drive as needed for you, as example 60 GB for system and apps, and ALL OF THE REST for your data, than the Win 7 install is not going to create that useless 100 MB partition. The "recovery" there is nothing more than the System Repair Disc has on it.

I do recommend for all cases, after installing Win7, to make a System Repair Disc. There are disasters which can result in you not being able to boot from your hard disk. That System Repair Disc will save your bacon (and allow you to repair your system).

DISC - CREATE A SYSTEM REPAIR DISC
START | type System Repair | Enter key | Create Disc button

coldengrey

You guys have made my week ! What you guys do for the community is remarkable and I THANK YOU!
Been reading till wee hours for a week straight trying to prepare for this switch to windows 7 64 from vista 32...
This forum is a well-oiled machine for sure - kinda reminds me of going to a hospital ER, everybody swoops in to do their part trying to fix the patient.

Do have few other questions...
1) I'm currently on a vista 32 machine and will be using fresh hdd for win 7 64... The only backing up that'll really do any good is copying my user created data to external hdd, right? (since swith to 64 bit environment and leaving the old hdd in tact w/ vista)
1.1) Should I bother backing up image an or the like since I'll have the physical hdd, should I need to go back..?
2) Partition wizard for partition chores, huh? Will the free version do everything I need done or do I need pro? How about the boot cd they offer?



theog

1) You could use WET:
Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

2) All partitioning can be done with the Windows 7 DVD.

whs

1. Yes, backup your data yourself and do not rely on any "tools". Then at least you know what you have done.

1.1. An image of the existing system never hurts - just in case.

2. PW is an excellent program. But most of the basic partition work can be done with Disk Management. There are, however, a few cases where the PW can do more. Apart from the normal program installation, I highly recommendd the bootable CD. That allows you to "look" at your disks when everything comes to a screeching halt.

whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
1) You could use WET:
Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

2) All partitioning can be done with the Windows 7 DVD.
theog, WET can be a bitch - and it unneccessarily complicates an easy task of copying folders. Many people had trouble with it. I would not rely on it.

karlsnooks

Very recently I gave WET a try again. Fortunately, I had already backed everything up. WET could not properly handle my redirected folders.

theog

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
1) You could use WET:
Windows Easy Transfer - Transfer To & From Computers

2) All partitioning can be done with the Windows 7 DVD.
theog, WET can be a bitch - and it unneccessarily complicates an easy task of copying folders. Many people had trouble with it. I would not rely on it.
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
Very recently I gave WET a try again. Fortunately, I had already backed everything up. WET could not properly handle my redirected folders.
I have used WET over a 1000 times, with no problems.

karlsnooks

Congratulations!

coldengrey

@karlsnooks
those programs listed in your sig, are those what you run on your system (utilities, anyways?)

karlsnooks

Yes

whs

theog, but you and Orbital Shark are the WET experts. But why take a risk for such an easy task.

theog

As it is so easy to do, with no risks.

If you transfer from a dirty PC to clean PC that is a risk.
But transfer from a clean PC to clean PC that is no risk.

I always use the External hard drive method.



karlsnooks

Coldengrey,
How are you doing? How can we help you? Did we provide enough confusion? Looking forward to hearing from you.

coldengrey

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
if, before running the Win 7 install, you partition you drive as needed for you, as example 60 GB for system and apps, and ALL OF THE REST for your data, than the Win 7 install is not going to create that useless 100 MB partition. The "recovery" there is nothing more than the System Repair Disc has on it.

I do recommend for all cases, after installing Win7, to make a System Repair Disc. There are disasters which can result in you not being able to boot from your hard disk. That System Repair Disc will save your bacon (and allow you to repair your system).

DISC - CREATE A SYSTEM REPAIR DISC
START | type System Repair | Enter key | Create Disc button
Might be stupid question, I've always just had windows installed on OEM machines..
-How would I partition the hdd Before windows install (to avoid useless 100mb partition)?

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks
The "recovery" there is nothing more than the System Repair Disc has on it.
-What is this referring to? Is the 100mb partition for recovery?

essenbe

the 100MB partition is where the boot files are. Normally the recovery partition is to reinstall the OS since they don't usually provide OS disks. If you have another installation disk of the same type you don't need the recovery partition. If you format the partition first, windows will not create the 100MB partition. It will put the boot files on the OS partition.

whs

Quote:
Might be stupid question, I've always just had windows installed on OEM machines..
-How would I partition the hdd Before windows install (to avoid useless 100mb partition)?
The 100MB partition is not useless. It can be very handy in some cases - e.g. double boots. But if you want to get rid of it in an OEM installation, you have to deactivate the 100MB partition and activate the C partition (best with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard). The you repair the bootmgr on C.

I personally think it is not worth the hassle, but to everybody his own.

essenbe

If you're adamant you want to dispense with the 100MB partition, there is a workaround if you carry out a clean install of Windows.

When you create your Windows partition you'll be reminded that it may be necessary to create another partition for the boot files.

Let Windows do that then delete the partition you created leaving you with the 100MB active partition that holds the boot information, then extend the boot partition to the size you want.

-dm.jpg

essenbe

If he is doing a clean install, wouldn't it be simpler to just format the partition he puts windows on, that way the 100MB partition will be on the C partition.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
If he is doing a clean install, wouldn't it be simpler to just format the partition he puts windows on, that way the 100MB partition will be on the C partition.
Well, unless I'm missing something, every time I've carried out a clean install, Windows has always gone ahead and created the 100MB boot partition and the operating system partition.

Using the method I mentioned gives me four decent-sized primary partitions as wasting a perfectly good partition for the sake of a few boot files seemed rather counter-productive.

Guest

If you format the partition first, windows won't create the 100MB. At least it never has for me.Read this tut. It shows both ways.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
If you format the partition first, windows won't create the 100MB. At least it never has for me.Read this tut. It shows both ways.
That's where the confusion arises, the tutorial shows correctly how it's done using diskpart, so you're absolutely right.

What I should have said and didn't, was that I was using the clean install method whereby you're booting from your Windows DVD, and not using diskpart.

Sorry for the confusion, I think I'll take my sleeping pills and lay down in a darkened room.

coldengrey

I don't want to wear out my welcome w bunch of stupid questions (previously covered) but-
Think my fundamental knowledge of partitions and boot/hdd functions are likely lacking cause I'm confused...

1) Can you guys explain the pros/cons of the system reserved partition and more about its functions. I'm not sure I should write it off as unnecessary? I do have Windows Install disc.

The tutorial: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
says:
"The reason for suggesting to create the System Reserved at 200MB instead of the new default of 100MB is an attempt to curb some of the issues we're now seeing with the partition being too small when dual/multi booting and it also being needed for use with the Windows 7 Backup and Restore and BitLocker programs."

2)I'm doing this clean install on fresh 500gb hdd - which happens to be a dell inspiron 1520. I've gathered all of the dell specific drivers, ect that research has revealed are not handled well with windows 7 included drivers...
Should I burn those drivers to a data disc or will they be okay to install from my usb portable hdd?

3) I want to make sure to create real stable backups following the install...
At what stages should I create back ups? After all drivers installed, windows 7 updates, Norton security suite and update/definitions, malware bytes, ect (basic core necessities)? Or before I install anything non windows 7?

3.1) This type of back up should be 'image' w win 7 built-in back up? Which partitions, just the c: drive or d: with relocated user data, ect? Or do I just 'image/clone' entire hard drive?
I know this is awful basic stuff I should know...



karlsnooks

Opinions are like mouths. Everyone has one.

I do not use the System Reserved Paritions. Is is 100% useless! MS soon realized that the functions that they had intended for there weren't needed there, but the system reserved partition still remains.

After you have installed win 7, then we will look at the imaging routes.

System reserved partition or not. The imaging advice will remain constant.

essenbe

The 100 MB partition is the active partition and contains the boot files (enables system to boot)

If you use windows backup every backup will contain the 100MB partition.
Every system image will overwrite the last image. To avoid that happening either rename the image, place it in a folder or move it to a different location. To restore the image, you will have to rename it back to the origional name.

I would save 1 image of a clean install after all windows updates are through and drivers installed. I would save an image after you install basic programs. That gives you an option to reinstall.

I would recommend using 2 imaging programs. Even the best programs will fail on occasion. There are some great free programs.
Here is a tutorial on imaging stratigies
Another on imaging with Macrium free
If you have a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive they offer free scaled down versions of Acronis.
Paragon has a free imaging program.

karlsnooks

coldengrey,

You get Win 7 installed as you desire.

I will show you how to use the only imaging software that I now use, namely,

Windows Backup and Restore.

A marvelous, easy-to-use, 100% reliable imaging program.

whs

coldengrey, you have to understand the karlsnooks is a real windows7 imaging expert and fan. He does very well with this facility. Most people, however, like me, had nothing but trouble with Windows7 imaging. Besides, windows7 imaging has hardly any functions that you can specify.

Should you decide to use it, make sure you use a second imaging program (e.g. free Macrium or free Paragon) to make sure you can really recover your system in times of need. I am not saying that windows7 imaging may not work for you, but you are taking your chances.

coldengrey

thanks guys. Got my 4 gb RAM from new egg today. Now gotta wait for my new wd5000bekt and then I'll be able to start this install!

I asked on a different thread, but maybe you guys could clear up for me..
I have a Jtag xbox 360 and it can only read FAT and HFS+
So I have 750gb wd passport I formatted HFS+ (w MacDrive 8)

Is an HFS+ portable HDD going to be problematic to use as a back up device?

I have a second Segate GoFlex Network External HDD, is a network device also problematic if ever need to restore back up? Of course this one I can buy a USB cable and connect directly to laptop...

essenbe

WHS, I think I alreadysuggested that and linked hi to some of your tuts.

As far as the Xbox goes I can't help as I dont have one. But a mac can read NTFS it just can't write to it. That's why your Seagate Go Flex are formatted NTFS and can be used by both PC and Mac.

whs

Why don't you partition the passport (maybe half and half) and format the partition that you want to use for imaging in NTFS. That would at least work.

coldengrey

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Why don't you partition the passport (maybe half and half) and format the partition that you want to use for imaging in NTFS. That would at least work.
you know i never even thought of that- duh!

whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by coldengrey View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Why don't you partition the passport (maybe half and half) and format the partition that you want to use for imaging in NTFS. That would at least work.
you know i never even thought of that- duh!
Good, let us know whether that works for you.

coldengrey

don't suppose you'd have a link to or be able to explain how/what I'd use to partition that drive HFS+ and NTFS?

I'm guessing I'll need a third party tool, right? Partition wizard, acronis disc director, paragon partition manager?



whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by coldengrey View Post
don't suppose you'd have a link to or be able to explain how/what I'd use to partition that drive HFS+ and NTFS?

I'm guessing I'll need a third party tool, right? Partition wizard, acronis disc director, paragon partition manager?
The easiest would be to use Disk Management. Do the following steps:

1. Right click on the drive and shrink the current partition (shrink volume) - specify as much space as you want for the new partition.

2. Right click on the unallocated space you got and make a New Simple Volume - the wizard will guide you.

that's all.

coldengrey

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by coldengrey View Post
don't suppose you'd have a link to or be able to explain how/what I'd use to partition that drive HFS+ and NTFS?

I'm guessing I'll need a third party tool, right? Partition wizard, acronis disc director, paragon partition manager?
The easiest would be to use Disk Management. Do the following steps:

1. Right click on the drive and shrink the current partition (shrink volume) - specify as much space as you want for the new partition.

2. Right click on the unallocated space you got and make a New Simple Volume - the wizard will guide you.

that's all.

Thanks for reply...
* Also watched your video tutorial yesterday - how to partition and move user folders VERY WELL DONE!

-Tried recommended steps - when right clicked, no option to shrink volume (likely because it's HFS+ and disc mang. doesn't do?)

-Formatted entire drive to ntfs but the no way to use macdrive to format second HFS+ partition (macdrive tries to initialize entire disc...

? Not sure if/what to use to format a second partition to HFS+
*I'll keep searching, thanks for reply and tutorials, though!

whs

Hmm, here you got me. I have not the faintest clue when it comes to Macs. Maybe another member would know what to do. I would give the Mac it's own drive.

coldengrey

The 100mb System Reserved partition places the Repair console conveniently on the F8 Advanced Boot Options. I believe this alone is reason enough to have it since it presents no problems I know of.

Use Disk Mgmt for your partitioning needs as it is failsafe. For anything which it cannot do use free Partition Wizard bootable CD which has not failed in hundreds of partitioning operations we've helped with here. Partition Wizard Use the Bootable CD

essenbe

You guys have all been such great help - THANK YOU very much...
You guys seem so enthusiastic and genuinely concerned with helping us end users-
I'm anxious to get this done so I can report back with progress, BUT due to paranoia have more questions..


I'm trying to cover all my bases, especially concerned with switch from vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit.
As far as duplicating settings ((wi-fi)network, driver settings, program settings/app data, firefox profile, ect)

1)What options do I have with switch to 64bit from 32bit, as far as duplicating system and program settings go?
- Will WET work 32bit-64bit?
- Other programs that aid in gathering various settings (maybe more foolproof/reliable)
- Anyone know of any tutorials/checklists of what/where/how to gather in prep for moving to clean install?
* Have accumulated 5-6 years of junk and learning mistakes on current os/programs, ect - prefer to not transfer all that muck over to fresh win 7 install
-> Selectively importing settings likely not possible (?) should I just take a lot of screen capture shots of settings

2) I setup and ran SYCTOY twice - backing up mostly USERS/(JASON)Profile folder, and some 64 bit drivers I saved in C: root...
Each time I ran had a lot of FAILED files/folders (Mostly files in use by running processes)

2.1)Are there other programs (GUI - no command line stuff, ie: Robocopy over my head or be next year by time comfortable enough with to trust haha) that facilitate user profile folder back up while (files) possibly in use?

2.2) How to get SyncToy to not have failed files... (how can I make sure no files in use by system?)



coldengrey

You should have no problem with synctoy. I use it regularly and it only misses 1 file. That 1 file is an encrypted file which meands it can't read it. Use an external hard drive for all of your backups.
As far as the switch. Just make sure you have the drivers you need for windows7X64. Sometimes a vista driver can be used in compatability mode. But, that is iffy.

If you have problems with synctoy, use simple copy/paste. You can copy your entire user folder.

As far as the browser. With X64 you get 2 browsers, a x64 and an x86. It is the X86 which will be used by default with ie.

Guest

Importing system and other settings via hidden AppData folders defeats the purpose of a clean reinstall as it is a direct corruption path. I would not use WET for this reason - just copy and drag User folders or the User profile intact.

These tips I compiled to get a perfect OEM reinstall also can be applied to get a perfect install in this case: Reinstalling Windows 7

Guest

Been following Kari's tutorial: How to Create User Accounts on another Partition or Disk During Windows 7 Installation
and have question maybe someone can answer (replied to tutorial thread, no response)..

There is a "relocate.xml" script for moving user accounts to d: partition during audit mode install (having never installed before I'm not sure better ask first..)

1) -Will I be able to access this "relocate.xml" script, during audit mode install, off of usb flash drive or usb portable HDD?
Not sure if they'll be functional at this stage of install; perhaps no drivers installed yet?
Also thought maybe I'd burn to data cd, but I believe my Windows 7 install disc will still be in optical drive at this point, right??

2) Not related really to above tutorial...
Currently on my OEM vista 32, despite having only created 1 administrator and 1 user account, there are like 9 or more user folders like: C:\Users\...Mcx1, Mcx1.JASON-LAPTOP, Jason, Mcx2, Mcx2.JASON-LAPTOP, ect...
- will Windows 7 have this many darned user folders (or do all those folders have something to do w/ OEM OS?
- what exactly are the PUBLIC user folders for?

Thanks again

Guest

Public folders are for easier sharing without requiring permissions.

MCX accounts are created In Windows Media Center 2005 each time an Extender is used, e.g. connecting to Xbox. Did you import these accounts? I don't think this happens in Vista - perhaps someone else knows for sure.

I would determine which User account you are operating under in User Accounts then delete all the others.

coldengrey

yes, it must happen in vista... I do have multiple xbox 360's on my network so that is correct (you know your stuff!)



coldengrey

Actually it's Google and it knows everything.

Guest

Well everybody, the new 'slow kid' is finally on his new windows 7 64 bit OS...
Thanks largely to those of you whom took the time to help me (replies and all great tutorials on this site)

Do want to specifically thank WHS and gregrocker for their extra time and effort helping me!

Now I've got to figure out how to best Organize and Arrange Folder names and Save locations on my Data partition/Libraries - Especially Documents and Download...

Thanks again,
Jason

Guest

You can link any existing folder to a library this way: Libraries - Personal and Public User Folders

Change the location of the default User folder or any of its active sub-folders this way:
User Profile - Change Default Location
User Folders - Change Default Location

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét