Thứ Năm, 28 tháng 7, 2016

Continuous Installation part 1


Tousdae

"Security Update for Microsoft .NET framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for X64 based systems (KB2446709)"

That is what has been installed on my PC ELEVEN times since the 15th. The icon that I have an important installation is on my bar now waiting for me to install it again. I was not paying attention to what I was installing. I have a new pc and was expecting a bunch of updates to happen.

Why is this thing insisting on installing so many times?
Could it potentially do something negative to my system?
Is there a way to ... get rid of all these updates?
Is there a way to stop this thing from wanting to install?

Thank you



Carolyn

Try downloading the update to your computer manually. Download it, save it, run it...

Download details: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Post back to let us know how it goes.

Tousdae

I wasn't sure which link to download. I started with the 2nd, but it turns out it didn't matter. After I downloaded the item and clicked to run it, it said it wasn't applicable to my computer. The other 2 said the same thing after I downloaded them.

Carolyn

  1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
  2. In the left pane, click View update history.
  3. Find the failed update. If an error has occurred, an error code and a link to Help will be displayed. If there isn't a specific Help topic for that error, you can use the error code to search online for help.
  4. Please post the error code here.

Tousdae

They all succeeded in the update.

Carolyn

Please follow the steps in the Microsoft article

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

scroll down to the section lableled
"How to troubleshoot the problem if the update was installed"


Post back to let us know if the problem is resolved.

Tousdae

I had a malware thing on here. It was taken care of. Nothing has changed though. I'm going to call tech support for help on Monday if I can get the time. Thanks for your help.

If I can ask something else here ....... someone once told me how to stop the messages that come up when you want to open a program. I forgot how to stop that. I don't want to be bothered with giving permission to open programs that I use all the time. Do you know how I can stop that?

Carolyn

Try this utility for repairing Windows Updates:
Repair & Fix Windows Updates with Fix WU Utility | The Windows Club

If malware was found, you should run additional scans to make certain that your computer is clean.


ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista/Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

  • Please go here to run the scan.
    Quote:
    Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
    All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
  • Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on:
  • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is NOT checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:

    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on:
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically.
  • Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
  • When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
  • Now click on:
  • Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.


Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

Tousdae

I'm not trying to be difficult because I'm asking for help ... but why do I need that particular program when I have my own??

I've talked to microsoft who referred me to the pc manufacturer whose solution was to have Windows ask me what I want to download and install. That's how it was on my old pc, which I liked. So we changed the settings and I rebooted and everything was fine for oooh ... 3 minutes maybe and then the update came back up. So there it is, sitting on my bar again and not going away although I'm not choosing to install it. It's the small things that make me nuts ...

Carolyn

Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult because I'm asking for help ... but why do I need that particular program when I have my own??
I never take issue with someone asking questions.

From the troubleshooting article I referred you to earlier:
Quote:
This problem occurs when one of the following conditions is true:

An error occurred during installation. The update was not installed.
The update was installed. However, a file was not updated when the computer restarted.
We know that the update was installed, so I think one or more files were not properly registered.

"This utility will re-register a total of 114 .dll, ocx and .ax files which are required for the proper functioning of Windows Updates."

Tousdae

Alright. I'm in the middle of working, so in a few hours I'll get this program and go thru the things you want me to do.

TY.. be back later.



Tousdae

I can't do this thing. It doesn't scan online. I had to put my name and email in. It then sent me a trial name and password with a link to download the trial. When I went to download it Windows security came up with fields to put my name and password in but told me that the company wants my name and password and it'll be sent over an "unsecure manner". Is there any other way?

Tousdae

Download, install, UPdate and run a full scan with Malwarebytes which is the best free malware scanner out now.

Consider changing your AV to lightweight free MS Security Essentials or Avast 5 which work best with the Win7 Firewall.

We suggest this because "your own" allowed you to become infected.

Carolyn

Greg, are you suggesting that I'm infected with a virus versus it's a system problem? I use McAfee and set it to scan every night. Nothing has come up. I'm used to it catching things right away and handling the problem. What's your thoughts on McAfee? I'll look into the 2 you suggested in the mean time. I have McAfee scanning again now.

When I scanned last night and it found 1 infection and got rid of it, I was using Malwarebytes.

Btw, I don't use Windows Firewall. I use McAfee's firewall.

DocBrown

We solve a lot of performance problems here by uninstalling the MucAfee software. It is bloatware which weighs down Win7 performance and can cause strange issues which resolve by uninstalling it.

After uninstalling MucAfee see if the Update anomaly clears us. If not, Carolyn can help you finish troubleshooting it.

Carolyn

Did you download and run FixWU?

Tousdae

I have to agree that McAfee is probably on the bottom of the list as being useful.

Malwarebytes works best in SAFE Mode

Carolyn

The developers of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware do not recommend running the program in Safe Mode unless you are unable to run it in Normal Mode.

Guest

Oh that's nice. A program that costs me $80 per year.

Carolyn, I somehow missed your FixWU ... well to tell you the truth, I get frustrated easily with this computer technical stuff so I probably haven't been reading everything fully. I'll finish work, read about the FixWu and research those 2 programs that Greg spoke about.

I use Game Booster. It comes with things that scan your pc for issues (IObit Security 360 and Advanced System Care). I never use the programs. I did today and it caught a security hazard with that .Net thing that is constantly downloading. Now I'm confused. My system now says it's downloaded successfully 15 times, but this program is saying there is a hole in my security. Is the update installed or not?

Guest

IObit has a very poor reputation:

miekiemoes' Blog: IOBit Steals Malwarebytes� Intellectual Property

I also do not recommend using products like Advanced System Care. Neither does Corrine - you can read her views on the use of Registry Cleaners in this article...

Home PC Security | WindowsTalk.org

Tousdae

Carolyn, regarding FixWu .. check out my 2nd post on this page.



Carolyn

This one?

Quote:
Carolyn, I somehow missed your FixWU ... well to tell you the truth, I get frustrated easily with this computer technical stuff so I probably haven't been reading everything fully. I'll finish work, read about the FixWu and research those 2 programs that Greg spoke about.

Tousdae

This one:

I can't do this thing. It doesn't scan online. I had to put my name and email in. It then sent me a trial name and password with a link to download the trial. When I went to download it Windows security came up with fields to put my name and password in but told me that the company wants my name and password and it'll be sent over an "unsecure manner". Is there any other way?
-----------------------------------------
I've uninstalled McAfee and am Installing MSE

Carolyn

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Tousdae View Post
This one:

I can't do this thing. It doesn't scan online. I had to put my name and email in. It then sent me a trial name and password with a link to download the trial. When I went to download it Windows security came up with fields to put my name and password in but told me that the company wants my name and password and it'll be sent over an "unsecure manner". Is there any other way?
-----------------------------------------
I've uninstalled McAfee and am Installing MSE
I figured that you were referring to ESET. FixWU is not an online scan, it is a small zip file download.

Repair & Fix Windows Updates with Fix WU Utility | The Windows Club

Tousdae

I thought they were one in the same .. that doesn't surprise me.

Ok so MSE is scanning. What's my next move? I'm about ready to wipe this drive and start over

Patience isn't one of my strong points lol

Carolyn

Post the MSE scan results.

Don't do anything else until you run Fix WU. Let's see if that resolves the Windows Update issue.

Tousdae

Ok but ... Was that normal? That a box comes up from Windows asking me to log on? BTW, I don't know my password or name, for that matter.

Tousdae

Uh ... I don't see a log or anything to view with the results from the scan. When this finished d/ling it ran a scan automatically. It only did a quick scan. Almost 8,000 things were scanned and no problems. Should I run a full scan?

Carolyn

I gave you the wrong link for the ESET Online Scan - sorry, my bad

ESET Online Scanner

I don't think you need to run the full MSE scan. If the quick scan had found something, then I would say yes.

Tousdae

I figured it out. I looked up Fix WU and got the link. I downloaded it. I used it. The next thing I know the installation installer icon is off my bar. I rebooted. It hasn't come back in the several minutes that I've been back online. It only took about 2 minutes to show up again. I think I'm in the clear

So question about MSE. It doesn't bog down your system? Just curious. I can't wait to see if there is a difference, other than my poor purse lol.

SON OF A ........IT JUST CAME BACK!! SAME UPDATE! ..........

Tousdae

I have the ESET online scanner running ... I'm so aggravated. .. to be so happy and then bam.. get the rug pulled out from under your feet sucks.



Tousdae

MSE and Avast 5 don't bog your System, work perfectly with the Win7 firewall, and are recommended by almost everyone here.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I would try running Windows Update - Reset

If this fails then SFC -SCANNOW Command

As a last resort before clean reinstall I would then try Repair Install

Tips for getting a perfect clean reinstall based on hundreds done here: Reinstalling Windows 7

Tousdae

Greg, I did both of those things from the 1st link. The history is indeed cleared out o.O ... The computer wants me to reboot. I have that online scan going though.

I actually did the things from the 1st link twice .. becuz I had to be nosey and check for updates and see what would happen. The .Net thing showed up again. The 2nd link for registering updates .. I saw a whole bunch of .dll files being shown, but it moved too fast for me to catch everything.

Tousdae

Woooo that ESET is already showing 6 infected files O.o

They are in my Reg Defense program

Carolyn

Do you know how many programs I used in the last 3 days to scan this pc? What makes ESET so special that it picked up things that other programs couldnt?

I'm unclear. Is my problem from a virus or from the system?

Tousdae

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Tousdae View Post
Woooo that ESET is already showing 6 infected files O.o

They are in my Reg Defense program
Your Reg Defense program?

regdefense.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT (Web of Trust)

Is that the program you are referring to?

Carolyn

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Tousdae View Post
Woooo that ESET is already showing 6 infected files O.o

They are in my Reg Defense program
Your Reg Defense program?

regdefense.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT (Web of Trust)

Is that the program you are referring to?
Yep .. that

Carolyn

Almost all Registry Cleaners besides CCleaner are scam sales operations with no genius behind them.

We have a constant stream of strange problems such as yours which become resolved after System Restoring before the Reg program was installed, or clean reinstalling without using the crapware again.

In your case, I recommend getting a perfect clean reinstall, then save a backup image after setup so you never have to reinstall again: Reinstalling Windows 7

We're here to help as needed.

Guest

WOT has an add-on for Firefox and IE. I use it on all of my computers, at home and at work.

After the ESET scan, run DDS and post the logs for me to review please.

Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below, save it to your Desktop (It must be in this location).
Link1
Link2
Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.
  • Right-Click on dds.scr And select " Run as administrator "... and a command window will appear. This is normal.
  • Shortly after two logs will appear:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
  • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply

Guest

Greg's suggestion for a clean install is a good one.

Tousdae

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Almost all Registry Cleaners besides CCleaner are scam sales operations with no genius behind them.

In your case, I recommend getting a perfect clean reinstall, then save a backup image after setup so you never have to reinstall again: Reinstalling Windows 7

We're here to help as needed.
I have CC Cleaner too, so why I thought I needed Reg Defense (which I paid for) .. I don't know. Ok well I've spent some hours on this today and can't anymore. Tomorrow is busy too but this has to get done. I'll try to do this stuff tomorrow. Thanks.



Tousdae

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Greg's suggestion for a clean install is a good one.
I've done clean installs, but never with using windows backup as I never had the space for that to happen. I'm using 2 drives now and have been backing my system up. Um ... I'll have to read about how to go about doing it.

Incidentally ... the windows update hasn't popped up anymore. I guess if I scan for it, it might say it, it did before. I've done things to this pc since then though. Should I be doing a clean install when the update hasn't popped up in quite awhile? Should I search for updates and see what happens? It hasn't happened since I downloaded and used the 2nd thing from Greg's 1st link in one of his posts.

Tousdae

I would always keep Updates set to Automatic as Win7 Updates are very reliable when not intefered with by Registry Cleaners.

If you have no other performance problems and the problem doesn't reoccur then you can take your time deciding what you want to do.

Tousdae

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I would always keep Updates set to Automatic as Win7 Updates are very reliable when not intefered with by Registry Cleaners.

If you have no other performance problems and the problem doesn't reoccur then you can take your time deciding what you want to do.

I'm going to have to do the clean install. The darn thing is back. I'll have to read up on this back up system and make sure I do another back up before I go for it. I hope it's a whole lot more easy to do than putting everything back via disk and usb sticks. I JUST got thru doing this when I set up the new pc. It took hours and 3 days worth of time. *sigh*

Curious ... which is better? Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional? I own both discs. Wondering which I should install.

Thank you everyone. I guess I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tousdae

1 more thing .. I have a question about MSE. I'm in the area where you schedule your scans. It says here "Limit CPU usage during scan to ...." and is set on 50%. Should I keep that there?

I like MSE. Thanks

Tousdae

I did the clean install. I'm restoring my files. What do I do with them once they are restored?

Tousdae

Hope you didn't use WET to reimport your settings, as this is a corruption path.

Best method for backing up files is to drag User folders to external, then drag them back in.

How is performance?

Guest

... what do you mean it's a corruption path? WET is the windows back up and restore program? I used that. It didn't put things back where they go. I had to drag .. well copy and paste everything from the folders to the OS drive. I had no sound for awhile and was out of my mind with that then found the disk. I ended up using my old 7 disk as there was no key for the one that was installed on the new pc that I bought. When I thought that I might have to do another clean install I called the pc maker and they said the key is in there and it's ok. Is that true?

Soo... My email .. I lost all my contacts and my calendar. Is that normal? The contacts are no problem. The calendar is another matter. I count on that thing far more than I should.

Are you supposed to have to install everything all over again? It might have been easier to do my usb/dvd method of backing up rather than with the program although I did drag a ton of folders to the other drive last night too, not confident I'd be backed up properly.

Guest

AH HA! I logged into the online mail from the calendar and it imported all my dates!!! I see, too, that it somehow automatically updates from the pc program to online as I didn't add a ton of dates online and they were there.

Guest

Did you enable hardware auto-updating then check optional Windows Updates for newer drivers or those not given by installer? Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware

In the future, you don't have to go out of your mind if Sound or something is missing, just google the exact Device name from Device manager to find the driver, or import it from the Support Downloads webpage for your model computer or device. Driver Install - Device Manager

Every computer sold with Win7 is required by law to have a COA sticker with the Win7 Product Key on it. If it's not there, call your computer maker to ask why. If you installed another key in a panic, just change the Key at Computer>Properties activation link.

I find it easier to put everything in the seven User sub-folders and then drag them or my named User folder to external. However, you should research where your email and any other program data is stored first so you include that file as it might have been in a hidden Program Data or Appdata folder which is where settings are kept, and ones which I try to avoid importing en masse since they can bring corruption into a fresh install.

Tousdae

I go into device manager, click on the software, go into properties and look for driver updates that way. I'll check out your link.

Yep, no sticker on the key. They just said that it's in the program and it's all good. Hmph.

Plus the windows recovery ... It first did a backup on 4/6 .. then 2 more times until I did one the night before my planned clean install. It put everything back from the 6th and the other 2 times I updated which just gave me more work. Now I can't delete the "new location" folder that it put everything into on my main drive. Annoying.



Tousdae

Again, did you enable hardware auto-updating then check optional Windows Updates which is how Win7 provides the latest drivers not in the installer? This is not XP.

Use this rightclick shortcut to delete any file: Take Ownership Shortcut

What does it say under Activation status at Computer>Properties?

Your tech support needs to provide a COA sticker for preinstalled Win7 as required under the law. They also need to clarify by what they mean when they say that activation is "in the program" - does this mean SLP activation method is embedded in Recovery Disks? Did you make those?

They still need to provide you with a COA sticker, or call MS Customer Service to ask for their help.

Tousdae

Yes, I enabled the hardware updates and for drivers too. It's been trying to update something for ATI but it always fails. I used my old Windows 7 Prof disc instead of using the windows 7 Home that came with the pc because there wasn't a key. I didn't trust what he was saying ... even though Windows verified it was a legit copy.

Guest

Did someone sell you a self-activating Win7 DVD? This is likely a bootleg.

Or was this preinstalled on a machine you bought? If so, they need to give you the COA sticker with Product Key or it is also likely bootleg which is considered to be a theft.

Guest

Yep it was preinstalled. The copy of Windows 7 Prof I have is a retail copy.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét