Thứ Ba, 26 tháng 7, 2016

Creative XFI Xtreme problem part 1


Ellebrius

Had a hard time getting my sound card to work properly when I installed it 2 years ago but finally managed and it was working just fine.

Yesterday I needed the microphone and found out it wasn't working when plugged into my soundcard. I enabled High definition audio device and plugged the mic in the front of comp and it worked fine so I saw it wasn't the mic who had the problem.

I was then told to update my drivers and that might fix the problem with the mic which I did but now nothing works anymore. The mic doesn't work (which at this point I don't care at all about) but most important the audio console gives me the message "current selected audio device is not supported by the application do you want to select another audio device" and I also get the very same message if I go to sounds---playback devices---properties---sound blaster---configure your audio settings. So I can't access Bass Boost, Bass Management, EAX, EQ and the rest. My sound is tinny and has no punch or volume.

I tried to roll back the driver, checked on other drivers did a system restore... same.

I then realized I should disable High Definition audio device which I did... same.

Then when I could't sleep last night I thought maybe I should go in the Bios and disable it there even if it says it's disabled in system devices. Sure enough it was still enabled so I disabled it and said to myself: NOW it's going to work again. But no.

Anybody have any ideas please before I spend another sleepless night.



fireberd

You didn't fill in the "My System Specs" which helps.

But, if you are not using the integrated audio (on the motherboard) it should be disabled in the BIOS. It can cause conflicts with an added sound card.

Since you have it disabled in the BIOS, go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound Panel. Click the Recording Tab and the "What You Hear" should be set as the default playback device. RIGHT click the microphone and if disabled, enable it. In the Playback panel, your "Speakers" should be set as the default playback device.

If all of this looks OK, go to the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry for the Xfi then LEFT click "Uninstall" - DO NOT uninstall the drivers. Then restart the PC and the sound card will be detected and reinstalled. If there were some corruptions between Windows and the sound card this will fix it (and there could be since you had the Integrated Audio enabled).

Ellebrius

Went to the sound panel and under recording tab I disabled the microphone and then enabled it, under the playback tab I did same for the speakers.

I went to system device and right-clicked on SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio and the on properties and Uninstall. I did not check the ''Delete driver software for this device" box.

I restarted the comp and Windows 7 detected and re-installed the drivers. I tried the audio console... same message "current selected audio device is not supported by the application do you want to select another audio device". Also got it again in the Sound Blaster Properties panel.

Should I take the sound card put and put it back in?

RonLane

The only way I have got this card to work well is to reinstall everything from the disk and then run the updater. The audio console will let you change line-in to microphone. Jack is on the card and plugs in in the back of your computer.

Ellebrius

Ok so uninstall everything and check box Delete diver Software for this Device?

Next I guess I don't re-start comp since I don't want Windows to detect and re-install the software?

So next I take my CD out and install the original drivers? Then run updater?

Did I miss a step, is there something else I need to make sure I do to really uninstall everything and start new?

Ellebrius

I uninstalled and reinstalled using the CD that came with the sound card and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sardonicus

Are you able to do a system restore?

Ellebrius

Yes, I tried the system restore but it didn't fix it.

I feel confident that if I succeeded in re-installing the original software I could get it to work again since that's how I got it to work the first time. The problem is Windows 7 wont let me install the original software.

I uninstall everything but I need to restart the comp to finish the process and when the comp reboots Windows 7 detects the new hardware and searches and installs the drivers it finds.

I can't stop it from doing so. After doing a search I found I could go to Computer--- Right Click on properties---System Protection---Hardware tab---Device Installation Settings--- and select "No let me choose what to do". There I find 3 options but not one of them says "Don't do anything" All 3 suggest a different way of installing the driver software.

If anybody can tell me how to remove the old driver and install the original driver off the CD I would really appreciate it.

BugMeister

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Ellebrius View Post
Ok so uninstall everything and check box Delete diver Software for this Device?
** run a Registry Cleaner here - CCleaner will do the job (for free)
Next I guess I don't re-start comp since I don't want Windows to detect and re-install the software?

So next I take my CD out and install the original drivers? Then run updater?

Did I miss a step, is there something else I need to make sure I do to really uninstall everything and start new?
** when you restart the PC, it should automatically detect "new" hardware, and prompt for drivers..

EDIT: what's the make/model of the mobo..?

Ellebrius

Yes it automatically detects the new hardware but it doesn't prompt for drivers, it automatically installs the drivers it finds.

Where do I see what my mobo is?

I have an Intel Core 2 CPU 660@ 2.40 GHz 2.39 GHZ
4.00 GB
64Bit operating System
Windows 7

Ellebrius

Found it:
ASUSTek Computer in.
P5K SE
Intel P35/G33/G31

American Megatrends Inc.
Version 0901



stormy13

Would also help to know which X-Fi. There is essentially three different series,

1. Xtreme Audio

2. Original X-Fi, which includes the Xtreme Music, Platinum, etc.

3. The new Titanium series.

all of which use a different driver.

Ellebrius

Found this:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Model P5KSE
Chipset Intel P35/G33/G31 Rev' A2
Southbridge Intel 8280 1B (ICH9) Rev 02

American Megatrends Inc. Version 0901

Ellebrius

SB X-FI Xtreme Audio, Version Driver 1.4.90

Ellebrius

If we can't get this card to work properly again could someone suggest a soundcard that is compatible with Windows 7 and my system because that one sure isn't.

stormy13

Let's try something completely different. If you haven't seen or heard of them give this modded driver/app package a try,

SB P17X Series Support Pack 2.7 (04/01/2010) - Aud... - Creative Labs

It is a self-extracting exe, so after downloading run it to extract. Do not install anything from it yet.

Next hope you're up for a bit of a challenge because first is to get rid of any drivers you have already installed and to stop Windows from re-installing upon startup.

1. Manually create restore point before beginning.

2. Look in Programs and Features and if there are any entries for Creative or X-Fi, uninstall them; do not restart yet.

3. Download this,

Take Ownership Shortcut

and install it. Very useful for what is next, but only use it on the specified folder(s).

4. Next open Windows Explorer and navigate to,

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

what you are looking for is the folder that Windows creates when you installed the driver for the first time, unfortunately it doesn't remove said folder when you uninstall the driver and that is why it gets re-installed upon startup. I also can't tell you specifically what the folder is called as I don't have one of those cards. Based on what it names it for my Xtreme Music for you it should be called (assuming 32 bit Windows),

P17.INF_x86_neutral_ (followed by a random string of numbers and letters)

If that isn't it do a search in the DriverStore folder for P17.INF. There may also be more than one depending on how many different driver files you have installed.

5. Once you have found the above folder(s), now right click on it and use the "Take Ownership" shortcut that was added from 32 above, and only use it on that folder(s), not the DriverStore folder itself.

6. Now delete the folder and restart. Now Windows won't automatically re-install the driver for the card.

7. Next go back to the extracted driver folder and run setup.exe there, that should get the driver installed.

If the driver won't install post back and I'll give a couple of methods to install it manually. Don't use the disk that came with the card unless you got it after Windows 7 came out as at best it will have an older Vista driver on it.

Ellebrius

OK! Thank you for all this and it does seem a bit of a challenge, but heck I love those.

I'm gonna go try it now but I might take a while.

Will post back as soon as I get results one way or the other.

I am assuming you want me to also uninstal the Audio Console, Alchemy... etc ?

stormy13

Yes, uninstall anything and everything you can find in Programs and Features to do with the card. All of those are included in the modded package so you will get them back.

Ellebrius

I uninstalled everything and deleted the P17 folder.

Gonna restart comp now and try to install the downloaded Support Pack.

Be right back!

Ellebrius

It took a while to install but it said it did. I got the final message 'Successfully installed you must restart your computer' but when the comp rebooted there was no sound. If I go to control panel---sound---It says no audio device installed.

You said to post back if it didn't work. I'm here and wont try anything else till I hear from you.

Ellebrius

Also if I go into Program Files (X86) there is a Creative folder there and it contains all the features necessary like Alchemy, Console Launcher, etc.


And if I go to Device Manager I dont see sound but I do see something that wasn't there before, well I dont't think it was there before.

Other Devices (and it has ? on it)
Unknown Device (and it has ! on it)



stormy13

What does it show in Device Manager? Is it showing the name of the card, or is it listed as "unknown multimedia device" under Other?

Ellebrius

It just says

Other Device Unknown
PCI bus 5, device 1, function 0

Ellebrius

In device status it says

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Ellebrius

In Device Manager I dont see

Sound

The name of the card or anything that says Multimedia

Just:

Other Device ?
Unknown Device !

stormy13

Leave everything as is at the moment and follow this,

Driver Install - Device Manager

when you get to step 5 point it to,

P17X_SupportPack_2_7\Drivers\vista

Ellebrius

Ok will go try that, tx.

Ellebrius

The driver installed and I have sound again.

Unfortunately my original problem did not get fixed. The Audio Console still gives the message "The current audio device is not supported by the application".

And in Sound---Playback---SoundBlaster I still cannot use Configure your Audio Settings, I get the same message

Well we tried and I can't thank you enough for your time and your excellent step by step instruction that even me could follow. I was so sure it was going to work!

Maybe all there is left to do is get a different soundcard that is more compatible with Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Ellebrius

Just thought of something...I never did part 2 where it shows to update the XP Drivers to Window 7... Am I supposed to do that also?

I didn't do it because I figured it would just bring me back to my original Version Driver 1.4.90

stormy13

Quote:
Just thought of something...I never did part 2 where it shows to update the XP Drivers to Window 7... Am I supposed to do that also?
No, and all things considering should have never had XP drivers installed in the first place as there has been Windows 7 drivers for it since 7 came out.

One more thing to try, go here,

Uninstalling Sound Blaster Drivers and Applications

then click on "PCI Sound Blaster Cards" and start with Step 2. When you get to #6 don't use the disk, instead open the extracted folder, go to the Drivers folder and run the setup.exe there. When the utility comes up set it as shown, then move on to Step 3.

Ellebrius

Ok, thank you for not giving up on me. I'm gonna go give it a try and will report back.



Ellebrius

A bit confused here...

I go to Device manager but I don't see PCI Sound Blaster Card, what I do see is under Sound, video and game controller and Called SB X-Fi Audio is that the one you want me to use Step 2 on?

sam2fish

Ellebrius, I feel for you man...(without sound and internet, a computer has no meaning..).

I also have the XFi Xtreme Audio soundcard, in Win7pro. But with none of your problems. It is a 7.1 card, but I use a 5.1 speaker system. Pssst, my 5.1's work better when I have 4.1 mode enabled, with surround.

Creative was slow to get on-board with drivers for Windows-7. They make a damn good soundcard(s), but are a bit tardy with current drivers.

When I first installed Windows-7, Mikey saw the soundcard, but there was no real control of it. So I wanted to install the soundcard drivers off the cd, but Mikey didn't like that. So I tried installing them with using "Compatibility Mode", and it worked.

Since then I have done Windows updates, and all stays put.

This is all I can say. Here are snapshots of how it works on my system...

stormy13

Yep, that's the one.

Ellebrius

Stuck at Step 6


Insert the Creative Sound Blaster installation CD into your CD/DVD-ROM drive.
Exit from the installation wizard if it autoruns.
Click Start, Run and Browse. Browse to Z:\AUDIO\DRIVERS (where Z:\ represents the CD Rom drive Letter), and run CTZAPXX.EXE.
If you have a Sound Blaster X-Fi card, run SETUP.EXE.

If you have a Windows Vista/Windows XP combination CD-ROM disk for your Sound Blaster Audgy SE (SB0570) card, browse to Z:\XP\AUDIO\DRIVERS, and run SETUP.EXE.

In the Creative Driver Update Utility screen, select Driver Uninstallation under Update Option and select WDM Drivers under Driver Type.
Select the option Delete all shared Creative audio driver files, and and click OK.

------------------------------

Here I point it to the setup file in the extracted folder you had me download but it doesn't a Creative Driver Utility Screen, it just goes straight to Updating and installing drivers???

stormy13

OK try the the one in the location specified on the disk. If it doesn't work download this one that is from the driver I am using for my card (that file shouldn't be card/driver specific and work with any Creative card/driver), and is a bit older than the one in the Xtreme Audio pack. Just extract and rep[lace the one in your extracted folder with it.

Also just to be clear you are running the setup.exe found in the Driver folder, and not the one found in the main folder?

Ellebrius

Since I couldn't find Creative Driver Update Utility screen in the Daniel K utility folder I extracted I went to my CD and got it to open from there and continued with all the steps. I had some trouble deleting the files in the Windows Temp folder but I cleared the attributes and managed. I'm soo tired now I can,t remember if I emptied the Recycle bin or not.

I then restarted the computer and rand the setup file in my extracted folder and installed the drivers. I still have the same problem: sound but not Audio Console etc. that recognizes the Sound Card.

I'm gonna give it another try again tomorrow starting from scratch and using *all* the steps slowly and carefully. I'll post back with my results. Ty again so much for all your time and help and to all others who posted.

Ellebrius

By the way I just found the setup.exe file in the Driver folder. The instructions said got to Audio--Driver--setup.exe and there are no Audio folder. But there is a driver folder with it in it. Gonna start fresh tomorrow. Will let you know.

stormy13

OK, have a good night and see you here tomorrow.

Ellebrius

I couldn't resist and I tried again carefully.

Guess what? It WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything works! Audio Console etc. I can't believe it!

You're the best! Thanks sooo much for all your help and sticking with me through all this and persisting until the problem was resolved. Can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all your efforts.

Again thank you... and now dinner time, I deserve it.

EtherealJoe

The best way I have found to prevent windows from installing the driver is to disconnect from the internet (wire going to your ethernet device in back) before trying to even un-install the driver. It will attempt to install it anyway the first time you remove the driver, but uninstall it again and then it won't try the second time. Then before reconnecting your internet connection install the driver of your choice. This is the preferred method if you don't want to go into windows services to disable the auto-find drivers function. Also, I would recommend initiating and performing all of this while in "safe" mode. If you don't know how to boot in safe mode, just tap F8 till the boot options appear and then select "safe mode"



Ellebrius

Everything still works great!

But I thought I would post the mistake I made over and over again in case someone with the same problem reads this thread, and I also wanted you to know in case you have to help out another like me.

When you told me to go Programs and Features and uninstall everything related to Creative Labs, I thought I did. I uninstalled everything that had the words Creative Labs in it.

When I made my last attempt yesterday to sort this out and I carefully followed the steps in the link you provided all the way to the end and got to the step where it said to go to Program Files and delete the Creative Lab folder and everything in it, it wouldn't let me. So I went inside the folder and deleted all the sub-folders except for the 2 folders Windows wouldn't let me delete. Then I opened those and tried to delete the files inside but got the message the file was being used by another application and I couldn't delete it no matter what I did. Then I looked at the folder name and it was called Volp and I caught on! Volume Panel! I needed to unsinstall the volume panel which I had never done in all my previous attempts. So after uninstalling the Volume Panel I deleted the Creative Folder and I also emptied the Recycle Bin and restarted my comp. Then I installed the drivers in the pack you had told me to download and now we have good sound again.

So thanks again for the great help, this forum is the best place to get help with a problem but also for all kinds of hints and advice and to read up on new stuff.

stormy13

You're welcome, and glad to have helped. Also good to hear that everything is back to working.

P.S. Good catch on the Volume Panel, I probably would have missed it on myself for the same reason you did.

whoozhe

Here's the tip. Dump your Creative sound card in the trash can where it belongs and buy an Asus or M-Sound card.
Creative make cards for gamers with headphones and that is about all they are good for.
I got fed up with Creative's screwed up devices and drivers long ago and have never looked back.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét