Thứ Ba, 26 tháng 7, 2016

Hard disk drive recovery c full - help! part 1


niccih

I had to re-install my 'operating system' windows 7 dvd today and as my laptop was completely cleaned up presumed I also had to reinstall my 'drivers and utilities' disc which also came with my laptop. When I inserted the drivers disc there was no instant start up asking me to download to my laptop as there had been with my operating system disc and as there were so many files I had no idea which if any i had to download. So, I went onto the Dell support website and downloaded all drivers recommended for my inspiron 1545 laptop (14 downloads in total). Anyway, as you have probably guessed I have no idea about these things, so do not understand why i was even doing this, i am clueless. So now, (presuming this is the cause), my c recovery hard disk drive is full (3.80MB full of 14.6GB) and i am unable to download anything. Problem is i have no idea what I can keep or delete and i was unable to compress the files or create more c drive disc space through system restore - configure (as advised by another user).

Can anyone please help??? Remember I am a dummy so please explain in plain english!! Thanks in advance



marsmimar

Hello niccih and welcome to Seven Forums. First, I'd like for you to double check some info. You state, "...my c recovery hard disk drive is full (3.80MB full of 14.6GB)..." On most Dell computers the internal hard drive is divided into 3 partitions. One is the recovery partition. This is around 12 - 15GB and contains the exact image of how your computer left the factory. Another partition is usually called Healthy (or perhaps something else that makes no sense) and is 100MB. This is the boot loader partition that lets you start (boot) the computer whenever you hit the power button. And the last partition is called C: NTFS which contains everything else you've put on the hard drive like photos, files, programs, etc.

Did you mean to say your recovery partition is using 3.8GB out of an available 14.6GB? It takes (approximately) 1000MB to equal 1GB. If you only have 3.80MB being used out of 14.6GB there's no way your partition can be full, let alone the entire hard drive. Can you post a snip or screen shot of your disk information? From the start menu type in "disk management" (without the quotes) and then click on create and format hard disk partitions.

You also said you used your 7 dvd to reinstall your operating system and your laptop was completely cleaned. That sounds like you might have erased everything on the hard drive (including the recovery partition.) If that's the case then you should have only 2 partitions: the 100MB boot loader and the C: NTFS. If you wiped the entire hard drive clean then you probably wouldn't have any system restore points left either.

whs

Yeah, as marsmimar says, there is little we can advise without a picture of your Disk Management.

To take a snip, go to Start > All Programs > you find the snipping tool. Right click on that and Pin to taskbar. Then you can start it from the taskbar once you have your Disk Management page. Once the snipping tool is started, put the cursor on the left top corner, hold the left clicker down and drag the cursor to the right bottom corner, there you release it. Then go to File (top left) and Save as... Make sure you select a folder where you can find it again.

From there click on the paper clip in the Reply window here to attach it to your post. Once you selected the snip, make sure you click on Upload - wait for a few seconds for the upload to complete. You have to post a few words first (ar least 3) before clicking on the paper clip - somehow posting only a picture does not function.

niccih

Hi, Firstly thank you so much for replying to me and trying to help. I have attached a snip of my computer showing space available. Just to let you know I also keep getting a message saying i am low on disc space. Any picture I try to save off the internet or anything i try to download is not possible, again due to insufficient space. Could you please advise further??

marsmimar

The immediate problem that I see is somehow your recovery partition is named (C: ) while the OS partition is named (D: ). By design, whenever you try to add a program, download a file, photo, etc it looks for the C: partition. I suspect the Recovery (C: ) partition now contains more than just the recovery data. If you try to do a simple renaming of the partitions your computer might not even boot. Hopefully WHS or one of our equally skilled members will respond on how best to proceed without losing valuable data from the recovery partition. Sorry for not being more helpful.

whs

This is indeed a very unusual setup. I wonder how it got there. The main problem is that D ended up to be the active partition (as you can see by the little flag in front of the disk icon).

I wish you had given us a snip of Disk Management (and not Computer) as we requested. That would tell us more things.

This is going to be a difficult and very involved repair job and I hate to proceed without also looking into your Disk Management. Please post that too.

The steps involved will most likely be:

1. To download and burn a bootable CD of Partition Wizard (PW) - for that you need to use another computer
2. To inactivate your D partition with PW and activate C
3. To rename C and D with PW
4. To repair the bootmgr on on your new C (which is now D) with your installation disk
4a. If you have no installation disk, we have to first get you a repair disk
5. To analyse the data which is on your current C (recovery partition) and move everything that does not belong there off.

niccih

Thanks again for your help everyone. Apologies I did not upload the right info, I'm trying to watch my baby at the same time and keep getting interrupted.

I have now uploaded the correct info (I hope), and hopefully someone can perhaps advise further. Please let me know if you require any further information of course.I will not proceed with anything else at this stage until I have feedback from my disk management. Thanks again

myzr7

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
I had to re-install my 'operating system' windows 7 dvd today and as my laptop was completely cleaned up presumed I also had to reinstall my 'drivers and utilities' disc which also came with my laptop. When I inserted the drivers disc there was no instant start up asking me to download to my laptop as there had been with my operating system disc and as there were so many files I had no idea which if any i had to download. So, I went onto the Dell support website and downloaded all drivers recommended for my inspiron 1545 laptop (14 downloads in total). Anyway, as you have probably guessed I have no idea about these things, so do not understand why i was even doing this, i am clueless. So now, (presuming this is the cause), my c recovery hard disk drive is full (3.80MB full of 14.6GB) and i am unable to download anything. Problem is i have no idea what I can keep or delete and i was unable to compress the files or create more c drive disc space through system restore - configure (as advised by another user).

Can anyone please help??? Remember I am a dummy so please explain in plain english!! Thanks in advance
Welcome to SevenForums, Looks like when you reinstalled you installed in the wrong partition. Might be wise to try another reinstall. Have a look at this tutorial for some help doing that. Good luck to you.
Clean Install Windows 7

Orbital Shark

Another possible reason for the huge drain on C: would be shadow copies & system restore points.

Try the following...

1, Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and right-click Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator
2, Select C: drive for clean
3, In the More Options tab click Clean Up in the System Restore and Shadow Copies section

This should now free up a considerable amount of space on C:

Also, check to see if you have a Program Files folder on C:. As you've installed the OS on D: it should be prompting to install apps to D: by default.


OS

niccih

Hi, I tried a system restore for drive c as suggested by user OS but unfortunately it did not do anything. I have looked and noticed there are 2 program files in drive c and another 2 program files in drive d, is this normal? Both have a 'program files' & 'program files(x86)'. For some reason i am unable to attach any thing to this thread or i'd attach snips of the contents of drives c & d as i thought it might shed some light.Any thoughts?Many thanks

whs

In any case, you system is very much mucked up. You have this little dangling no name partition which does nothing, then you have the bootmgr in the recovery partition where it does not belong, your progam file (and 2 are normal for a 64bit system) replicated in C and D. - a real mess to say the least.

We could, of course, fix it. But that would take a lot of hops as I have already outlined above and there is room for error at every step. And you need access to another system in order to download the required program. If you have the installation disk, it would be the easiest to reinstall the system properly (of course after you saved your own data to an external drive). And if you do not have an installation disk, you could ask Dell to send you one. They usually do that for a S&H charge.

So let us know which way you prefer to proceed. And given that you apparently have to watch a kid, we would need to proceed in small steps because every step will require your full attention.



niccih

Hi,
I'm not sure how it is in such a mess as I thought all I had done was reinstall the operating system, netgear to connect me to the internet and microsoft works 9 and the recommended drivers from dell support, obviously i have gone very wrong somewhere...

Anyway, I do have the dell operating disc, and dell drivers and utilities disc, as well as microsoft works 9 and netgear so hopefully i can get my laptop back to a useable state again? I don't have another laptop but could perhaps borrow one although i think from what you are saying it's not necessary if i'm looking to just reinstall. I do have an external hard drive where i have already stored my photos & music etc. I think maybe I would need guidance on installing my drivers and utilities disc as like i said in my original email there was no prompt what to install if anything so i was very stumped at that point, whereas my operating system i just followed the instructions.

If you have the time and patience to help me it would be really appreciated. How much time roughly do you think i need to set aside?

I do also have a blackberry where I can access this website so can follow online instructionsthrough there if i am unable to access through my laptop at all times throughout the process.

thanks again for your time.

marsmimar

Hi again, niccih. I think a clean install will be the best way to go. Basically that means you'll wipe everything off the hard drive (including any recovery data) and start with a clean slate. Once Windows 7 is operating the way it should with all drivers, Win 7 updates, etc reinstalled, I'd suggest making a system image of the entire internal hard drive and store the image on an external hard drive. You could use the built-in Win 7 imaging tool or a 3rd party like Macrium Reflect free. Once you have all your personalizing done like installing additional programs, etc I'd make a second system image. That way you'll have two separate images to fall back on should something happen down the road. As you continue to use the machine and add/delete things, I'd make additional system images on an as-needed basis ... maybe once a month.

In the meantime (until WHS gets back to you) you might want to read these tutorials on how to do a clean install and how to make a system image using the Win 7 tool. Hope this helps some.

Clean Install Windows 7

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

niccih

Hi marsmimar,Thanks for your reply. I have had a look through as suggested and I think I can follow that (although I guess until i try I won't know for certain), do you think I should just make a start or hang on until i hear back from WHS? My little boy is asleep so hopefully I might have an hour free (or two if i'm lucky).Just to clarify, when you say system image, is this the system information page which contains 'Hardware Resources', 'Components' and 'Software Environment'?

marsmimar

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
Hi marsmimar,Thanks for your reply. I have had a look through as suggested and I think I can follow that (although I guess until i try I won't know for certain), do you think I should just make a start or hang on until i hear back from WHS? My little boy is asleep so hopefully I might have an hour free (or two if i'm lucky).Just to clarify, when you say system image, is this the system information page which contains 'Hardware Resources', 'Components' and 'Software Environment'?
If you're feeling adventurous I'd give the clean install a shot. You're probably going to see several partitions listed during the installation process. You need to delete ALL of the old partitions before trying to install the clean version of Windows 7; otherwise the new install will probably get reinstalled on the Recovery C: partition again and you'll be no better off than you are now.

A system image is a "snapshot" of your entire hard drive. It includes the operating system, all of your files, photos, documents, music, videos, personal settings, all program updates, etc. It will include everything that's on your internal hard drive at the moment the system image is created. It's not the system information page.

When you create a sysem image for the first time it will also prompt you to create a system repair disk. (You'll need a blank CD-R or -RW disk.) This repair disk will let you start your computer even if you can't start Windows 7 because it's completely damaged or corrupt. The repair disk will let you choose from several options, one of which is to restore your system from a previously made system image. You'd plug in your external hard drive (the one that has the saved system image), start your computer from the repair disk, select the option to restore from a saved system image, select "yes" a couple of times and then sit back for 30 -45 minutes while your machine is restored.

niccih

Thanks marsmimar.Hmmm, I'm not sure if i might be getting out of my depth, like i said at the start i am clueless. I'm always up for trying but would need such monitored guidance. I don't even know how to delete the old partitions - this is probably where i went wrong last time as i just presumed everything would be wiped as i installed windows 7 again. Just out of curiosity do you know how much it might cost to have sorted? i'm not giving up, it's just i don't get much spare time but neither do i have a great deal of money for these type of hiccups. I'm just concerned i may make things worse if possible! Plus I'm worried that i may get abandoned half way through if people run out of time/patience with me...

mitchell65

If I may just stick my nose into this one. I have great faith in all the contributors to this thread but I have to say I have seen WHS lead newbies through this type of problem before with great patience and care. If he is willing to go it alone with you I would take that route, he will not abandon you at any time, just look at some of his other posts! He has the patience of Job and more! If you diligently follow his advice you will succeed. Don't ever worry about asking him for a little more explanation to anything you don't understand, he will far prefer that to you guessing.

marsmimar

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
Thanks marsmimar.Hmmm, I'm not sure if i might be getting out of my depth, like i said at the start i am clueless. I'm always up for trying but would need such monitored guidance. I don't even know how to delete the old partitions - this is probably where i went wrong last time as i just presumed everything would be wiped as i installed windows 7 again. Just out of curiosity do you know how much it might cost to have sorted? i'm not giving up, it's just i don't get much spare time but neither do i have a great deal of money for these type of hiccups. I'm just concerned i may make things worse if possible! Plus I'm worried that i may get abandoned half way through if people run out of time/patience with me...
Last part first. The folks here are very patient and won't give up on someone who has a genuine desire to make things right on their computer. If you go to a computer repair shop to have them wipe the hard drive and reinstall 7 it will probably cost a fairly good amount. The shops where I live would charge around $150. Couple of possible alternatives - public libraries usually host adult computer classes. Same with high schools. Your computer might be used as a teaching tool to show others how to reformat (erase) the hard drive and reinstall 7.

Personally, I think you have what it takes to do this. I say that because if I can do it, anyone can do it! Not only that, it's a great learning experience and confidence builder.

niccih

As cheesy as it sounds, it's so nice to know there are such helpful and supportive people out there! thanks!Well i'm more than happy to give it a go. If someone perhaps could instruct me on the best place to start, step by step, including deleting old partitions, backing anything up that needs backing up etc etc. before I reinstall windows. Obviously just when you have time :-)

marsmimar

Without seeing what you have installed on your computer I don't think it's possible to tell you exactly what you need to back up. Photos, documents, music, tax returns, etc (anything you'd have a hard time replacing) should be backed up. If your external hard drive has enough space you could create separate folders for photos, documents, etc and then copy them from the internal hard drive. If you have any programs installed that require a disk and/or license number, registration number, etc you'd want to have those things available.

Off the top of my head one of the most important things I'd suggest you find out is if your computer can boot from your Windows 7 installation disk when you first turn on your machine. Many times the BIOS has to be accessed to make the CD/DVD drive the first boot choice. On some Dell computers you'll see a prompt in one of the corners of the screen to use "F12 to enter setup", or "F2 to enter BIOS", or some other cryptic prompt. Next time you start your machine look for that prompt (it stays on the screen for a very short time) and remember what it says. That will give us a starting point to make sure the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device.

You might also want to get a paper and pencil to write down everything that's on your start menu > all programs as well as all of the programs listed in control panel > progams and features. This can be useful as a double check that once Windows 7 in reinstalled you can also make sure everything else is reinstalled. One word of caution is necessary. When a computer is delivered from the factory there are a lot of programs installed by the manufacturer that you might have found useful in the past. Sometimes those programs cannot be copied because they need a special manufacturer's license for re-activation. Other than that, I think you'd be good to go.

marsmimar

One thing I forgot to ask. Did your computer come with Win 7 installed or did you upgrade to 7 from XP or Vista? If you upgraded did you use an upgrade disk?



niccih

Hi,
I have noted what you suggested and all pictures, documents etc are saved on my external drive.

The laptop came with windows 7 installed, so it has not been upgraded.

I just shut my laptop down and restarted. The first black screen gave option of either F2 or F12, at this stage i did not hit either key. Then the next black screen appeared giving the option of windows 7 or windows 7 again - is that because the old one hasnt been removed? If I chose the top one it took me through to where i just log in to my laptop as a user, if i chose the windows 7 underneath it took me to another black screen with a list of options such as safemode, safemode with networking etc.

I don't know whether this is perhaps remains of what was happening before i reinstalled where i had the blue screen of death (i've heard it called) appear, this was the reason for my reinstallation in a desperate attempt to get rid.

I hope that helps. Thanks!

marsmimar

I'm going to take a guess and say that F2 will take you to your BIOS. I have a Dell Vostro 1520 and when I click F12 it give me a one-time boot option without having to go through the BIOS. Your machine might be something else (I mean, why would any manufacturer want to standardize what the function buttons do??? .) You could select one or the other and see where it takes you. You should be able to hit the ESC key to resume starting Windows normally once you see what the function keys do. Or there will be an option to cancel the function key and start Windows normally.

The fact that you have a 2nd black screen with an option to select 7 twice is probably a result of that bad reinstall and not deleting a partition or two. No big deal because a clean install will take care of that.

I'm going to send you a private message with some additional thoughts.

Oops ... just found out you can't receive PMs

theog

How to use Dell Recovery, & how to order Recovery Disks.
Dell - Support

niccih

Hi,
With the operating system disk in - F2 gave me a pale blue screen with the Dell logo and a list in top left corner with:
settings, system config, video, security, performance, power management, post behaviour, wireless & maintenance and in the bottom left corner and button to either 'load defaults' or 'exit'.

F12 took me to a black screen with options:
Internal HDD, cd/dvd/cd-rw drive, onboard nic, BIOS setup or Diagnostics.

Which do i choose?

marsmimar

You're going to want to use the F12 option. That's the one-time boot menu. You can restart your computer, click F12, and wait for the options to appear. Open your disk drive, insert the Win 7 install disk, and close the tray. Now use your up/down arrows on the keyboard to select cd/dvd/cd-rw drive. Once it's highlighted you can hit the Enter key. You should hear the dvd drive start to whirr and whine and groan as it accesses the disk. Watch your screen carefully because you should get a prompt to "select any key to boot from cd" (or words to that effect.) When you see the prompt click once on any key (the space bar works nicely ) to confirm you really want to boot the machine from the disk drive. If you miss the prompt your machine will boot from the hard drive and you'll have to wait for it to go through the welcome screen etc before you can restart and try again.

niccih

Hi, I'm emailing from blackberry.
I've reached the point where it asks where do I want to install windows? Choices are:
Disk o partition 1, disk o partition 2 recovery, or disk o partition 3 OS.
Which shall I choose? Thanks

myzr7

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
Hi, I'm emailing from blackberry.
I've reached the point where it asks where do I want to install windows? Choices are:
Disk o partition 1, disk o partition 2 recovery, or disk o partition 3 OS.
Which shall I choose? Thanks
You would want to install in 3 os which is where you have 200 some gb. This is your biggest partition.

marsmimar

If I remember correctly you have a 39MB Healthy partition, a Recovery C: partition, and an OS D: partition. Couple of questions before proceeding.
1. Do the various partitions (Disk 0 Partition 1, etc) show up on their own separate line similar to:
Disk 0 Partition 1
Disk 0 Partition 2
Disk 0 Partition 3
2. Do they each show something called allocated space next to them (probably 39MB, 14.6GB, and I can't remember what the last partition was - maybe 200+GB?)
3. Can you use you keyboard up/down arrows to highlight one of the partitions and then get an option to delete it?

You'll want to delete all of those old partitions so you're left with one large partition equal to your entire hard drive called unallocated space. That's where you're going to eventually reinstall Windows 7. You don't want to install it on any existing partition, especially one called D:

marsmimar

I'm leaving work in about 10 minutes and heading home. I'll be away from a computer for about an hour and 15 minutes. Sorry for the interruption and delay.

whs

Hi niccih, sorrry I am late. I had to do some video work and that takes a long time which is in the nature of the beast.

I see that you got a lot of good advice from my friends. You made a wise decision to reinstall because the other option would have been rather rocky.

It looks like you are well under way and already managed to boot the installation disk. You do want to install to the big partition which I think was C. I am slightly worried about the mess on your disk (e.g. that the D partition shows as active). Let's hope the installer can deal with it. If not, we will have to first clean the disk. But we will cross this bridge if the installation you are trying now does not work.

I will keep in touch.



niccih

Hey no problem I just appreciate all your help. Please don't feel you have to reply immediately all the time.

marsmimar

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
Hey no problem I just appreciate all your help. Please don't feel you have to reply immediately all the time.
I can't speak for anyone else, but at my advanced age I feel that I have to reply right away. I might not get another chance!


whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
Hey no problem I just appreciate all your help. Please don't feel you have to reply immediately all the time.
I can't speak for anyone else, but at my advanced age I feel that I have to reply right away. I might not get another chance!

LOL - you are right. You never know what might happen the next minute - especially with me. I may be the most "advanced".

niccih

Apologies if you already have a message of this nature but I thought I had posted it about an hour ago but can't see it anywhere but its a bit difficult viewing through a blackberry.
Anyway I'm still on where to install windows and just wanted to confirm that I should be deleting all 3 rows/partitions? Just don't want to without being 100% sure that's correct. Thanks!

marsmimar

My suggestion is to delete everything currently on the hard drive and starting with a clean slate. I just can't think of a good reason to try installing on a partition named D: or to keep a probably corrupt recovery partion named C: or a questionable 39MB boot loader partition. But I will defer to anyone who can provide a good reason to try the install on D:

whs

Yes, marsmimar is right. Delete everything if that option shows up.

niccih

Hi, that's great, windows seemed to load just fine. I've just checked in computer and there is just 1 hard disk drive called local disk C, 232gb with 220gb free. I'm not sure where I go from here, possibly the drivers and utilities disc? I will have to say thank you for your help today and call it a night as I need to see to my baby. Ill keep check for any updates and will be on again very soon. Thank you and have a good eve!

marsmimar

That's really great work, niccih! Sounds like your computer is right where it should be. Congrats on becoming a computer repair person.

For now, I think I'd take my time before installing any drivers or utilities. Let's protect your new operating system by getting your antivirus and antispyware installed and getting Windows Updates. You'll need an internet connection for the Windows Updates. If you want a lighweight basic antimalware program a lot of folks here recommend the free Microsoft Security Essentials. You'll need internet for that as well. Let's see if you can connect to the internet without any problems. Get yourself a well deserved rest!

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

whs

This is good news. Now we have to do the following steps:

1. as marsmimar says, you need an anti virus program. Chances are there is a 3 month trial version that came with the installation disk. That has to be uninstalled first with a special uninstaller before installing MSE (which is a good free option from Microsoft)

if there is a 3 month trial, it is most likely Norton (Symantec) or McAfee. Please check that and let us know which one it is so we can give you the correct uninstaller. Uninstalling with the usual windows uninstaller will not do. We then can proceed with MSE.

2. It is unlikely that you have to install any drivers because they usually come automatically - unless you have some very special devices. If any, let us know.

3. There will be a lot of updates coming from Microsoft. Install those but if you see SP1, do not install that together with any other updates. That works best when installed alone. Whenever you see the yellow shield on top of the Sleep/Shutdown button in the start menu, go first to Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update and inspect the updates before you install them. Then install them from there and not from the Sleep/Shutdown button. And as I said, if you see SP1 with a bunch of other updates, select all the others first and install those. Then proceed with SP1.

4. Imaging - I would take an image of the system asap and then whenever you have accomplished a major step. Define an "Images" folder on your external disk and image with Macrium. Here is my video tutorial which will explain how to use it. But do not forget the first step which is to burn the Macrium recovery CD (that contains a little Linux program which can restore the image(s)). That CD you will need in the event that you have to restore to an image. Then define your image as explained storing it to your Images folder on the external. Once defined, you later only have to highlight the XML file and click on the cog wheel - and off it goes.

If you encounter any difficulties or have any questions, let me know. And do not use the Windows7 native imaging facility. It is a real dog and guaranteed to get you into trouble.

5. There are some other things that would be useful to do like weeding out your startup programs and moving your data to a seperate data partition. But those we can discuss once you are done with the above.

theog

Well Done.



niccih

Good afternoon, I hope you are still here
Firstly I want to apologise as i hope I haven't messed up . I did not recieve your message whs (hello and thanks!) until after i had connected to the internet and installed microsoft security. I had taken the link as the go ahead.

Thanks so far for all your help, I have to say it's really rewarding doing it yourself.

Anyway, I had paid for 1 year of virus protection when i purchased the laptop from Dell last April, so it should still have had a couple of months left on it but i'll be honest i can't remember whether it was Norton or not. So like whs said there is a possibility there are traces of that still...

I don't know if this is any help or not but I have attached snips which i thought might help you see if everything is as it should be. Obviously let me know please if you need any further info, or if I do need to uninstall microsoft security.

Many thanks! (I won't be back on here for a few hours now just to let you know)

marsmimar

Hi niccih and welcome back. Glad to see you're back online. In looking at your snips, it appears that (a) you've successfully reinstalled your Windows 7 and (b) your control panel > programs and features only shows two installed programs ... Microsoft Security Essentials and Adobe Flash. Did you happen to look through your newly created start menu > all programs to see if you have any other antivirus or antispyware listed? If you do, let us know and we can probably steer you in the right direction for an uninstaller.

From your Adobe Flash version it looks like it's seriously out of date. The latest version is 10.2.152.32 and if it's not updated you could be leaving your computer open to some security issues. Don't try to uninstall the old one from the control panel. Use the official Adobe uninstaller here:

Uninstall Flash Player | Windows

Then you can reinstall the latest version from here (don't forget to uncheck the free Google toolbar offer if you don't want it):

Adobe - Install a different version of Adobe Flash Player

Since a lot of websites use flash content I think this should be a priority. Once that's done let us know what else you want to do and we can offer some advice or moral support.

theog

Can you post a screenshot of Device Manager?

-main3.png

niccih

Hi,
I have installed the newest Adobe Flash Player, and hope I have successfully uninstalled the old version. I've attached a snip, hopefully this will be of use to you to confirm that. I have attached also Device Manager for Theog (hello!).
I'm still not sure whether I have any other old virus protection on here, I can't see anything obvious but really wouldn't know if i was missing anything. I checked my old list of all programs as suggested but don't see any. Could it have been uninstalled last time I unsuccessfully tried to reinstall windows?

I don't know if there is anything else I need to do... I can't think of anything. Really I'm just clueless on computers about what I should update and how often. For example, the Adobe flash player I would have had no idea I had to update it. Perhaps if someone would be kind enough to just tell me what I should be updating on a regular basis and where I get the updates so i can keep my laptop in tip top condition.

Thanks so much for all of your help

whs

Your snips look good. marsmimar covered the flash player update - although even if you do nothing, the updates will eventually come automatically. Adobe has their own way to update the Flash player.

I bet you get a lot of MS updates. Install them all. Just watch out for the SP1 update. That you should install all by itself. People who installed it together with another bunch of updates at the same time sometimes had problems.

And then I think it is VERY IMPORTANT that you start imaging so that you do not have to go thru this whole procedure again. Have a look at my tutorial and let us know whether you think you can handle that: Imaging with free Macrium

PS: I would uninstall this Google Toolbar. You got it with the Flash player because you did not untick it.

ignatzatsonic

Niccih:

You�ve done very well and received good advice.

Get Windows updated per WHS�s advice.

These would then be major areas left to consider. I would probably attack them in this order:

1: Possibly dividing your hard drive into 2 partitions. It�s entirely optional, but many on this forum do it. It�s easily done. You would then put your data on the new second partition rather than on C. All that would be on C would be Windows and your programs.

2: Configure a few things like System Restore, Windows Update, Windows Firewall, Hibernation, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

3: Restoring your data from your external drive after you decide about #1 above.

4: Possibly downloading and installing a second free program to protect against �malware� as opposed to viruses. This is also optional, but I�d guess most on this forum do so.

5: Develop and implement a backup strategy for Windows and for your data, likely using Macrium for the Windows portion.

marsmimar

I second everything WHS said. Especially the part about getting a system image and a repair disk (which will be a part of the system image process regardless of which imaging tool you decide to use.)

Other than getting a system image sooner rather than later, there's no pressure that you HAVE to install other programs right away. A lot of times you'll discover quite by accident that you need a certain program. It's perfectly OK to wait until you need something and then install it. If you're not sure about something you can always ask other questions here at Seven Forums.

On a personal note, you are not clueless. You are a very capable and adventurous person who sailed through a difficult task with flying colors. As far as knowing when or if a program needs to be updated, look at your snip of Programs and Features. The right column is called Version. Most of the installed programs will have a version number. You could go to that program's website and see if you have the latest version. Or you could use another freebie called Secunia. Under Products (upper left on their home page) is something called Online Software Inspector. You can let them scan your computer periodically to see if anything is outdated. Nothing is installed on your computer with OSI. Or you could install their free PSI program that has a larger data base of programs. For right now, I think the OSI would do you well.

Secunia.com

Take your time, don't rush into something, and ask questions. You've done a really great job! Don't be a stranger here.

whs

ignazatsonic made a good suggestion seperating your user data into a seperate partition. I have made this tutorial for it: Data Partition I would, however, suggest to tackle this only after you are firm in imaging. There are some possible traps moving the data to another partition and we should discuss the details in great length once you are ready to do it.

There is one implication though with a seperate data partition - you have to then image that partition too just in case one of your data files ever gets lost or corrupted. It is just another parachute to keep your system safe from trouble.

I once lost my whole data partition due to an error I made handling the Partition Wizard program. I was sure glad that I had made an image of the data partition the day before so that I was able to recover the whole data. These things happen to any of us, but if you are prepared, you can always bail yourself out.

Golden

Well done and nice work Mars, Ignat, WHS and others - help gladly given where it is most needed. What a credit to Seven Forums you are

essenbe

WHS, as far as the backup of the data partition, I might suggest Sync Toy. It will copy the user partition to her external hard drive and is simple to use.



whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
WHS, as far as the backup of the data partition, I might suggest Sync Toy. It will copy the user partition to her external hard drive and is simple to use.
I agree, that is a good option. I just use Macrium for that because I always image both partitions together. For me it is a one step deal and I do not really care about the extra disk space it takes - I have acres of that.

theog

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by niccih View Post
Hi,
I have installed the newest Adobe Flash Player, and hope I have successfully uninstalled the old version. I've attached a snip, hopefully this will be of use to you to confirm that. I have attached also Device Manager for Theog (hello!).
I'm still not sure whether I have any other old virus protection on here, I can't see anything obvious but really wouldn't know if i was missing anything. I checked my old list of all programs as suggested but don't see any. Could it have been uninstalled last time I unsuccessfully tried to reinstall windows?

I don't know if there is anything else I need to do... I can't think of anything. Really I'm just clueless on computers about what I should update and how often. For example, the Adobe flash player I would have had no idea I had to update it. Perhaps if someone would be kind enough to just tell me what I should be updating on a regular basis and where I get the updates so i can keep my laptop in tip top condition.

Thanks so much for all of your help
Before you start your backing up, you may like to install all the hardware software for your notebook.(Display, keyboard, touchpad,etc)

reightonsands

Had exactly the same problem, followed instructions and hey presto! worked a treat. Thank you. Got to say I'm pretty clueless too!

essenbe

reightonsands, Welcome to Seven Forums. I'm glad you have your problem solved. If you went through that and were successful, you are not clueless. But, you were able to follow the advice in the thread, solve your problem and learn something in the process. Next time you are faced with this situation, you will know exactly what to do. Stick around, there is much more information on this site. Check out the tutorials here. Just go to the top of the page and click on tutorials. There is much to learn there. Hope you'll stick around and congratulations for resolving your issue.

Lewis1

hey guys i have the exact same problem that has been fixed here - i have recovery (c and OS (D and recovery drive is full, yet OS is 75% empty. have 126.20gb of unallocated space, but cant seem to get that space onto my recovery disk. i am on my sisters laptop now, as i am attempting to re-install windows 7 like what has been done on this thread on my laptop, but when i try to download to OS, it says it doesnt have the available space, even though i formatted it previously. followed this guide but now i am stuck and i cant seem to make it work, will post back when windows either doesnt download or does and i will say how it went.
would really appreciate some help, my laptops been this way for 6 months now and its starting to really bug me now, i have windows 7 64 bit if that helps. thanks

ESRO2

Hi all... I registered on this forum to say "THANK YOU!!!" I had the EXACT same issue as "niccih" and your solutions worked perfectly!! I now know EXACTLY where to go for all my computer-help needs! Thank you very very much!!!

essenbe

ESRO2, we are glad it helped and happy you resolved your issues. Anytime you need help, that is what we are here for. We hope you come around often. When you have the time, in the top left corner there is a section called tutorials. Click on that and look at the tutorials. There is much to learn and help with many problems. Thanks for letting us know this thread helped. Good luck.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét