Thứ Năm, 28 tháng 7, 2016

Endless, Infinite, Never Ending folder... How to delete?! part 1


noisyscanner

Hello all!
This has been sat around on my computer for some time now and I just though that today I would try and sort it out. I don't know how it got there but somehow it did, last February. Anyway, I seem to have a folder that goes on forever!
Here WAS the path before I attacked it:

C:\Windows.old\Users\Brad\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\Documents\ etc...
Windows.old was backup but there's nothing else in that folder.
I tried moving a very deep child folder out and going through that. No luck. So now I just have a recurring Documents\Documents etc... on my HD.

I looked through all this. Tried running CHKDSK, tried deleting it in safe mode, on Linux, and using scripts and stuff I found on the web. Something to do with Robocopy. That didn't work.

I would appreciate if anybody who knew what this is to please help out.
Ta,
Brad.



logicearth

Delete "Windows.old"

noisyscanner

It said to try renaming to a shorter path or moving to a different location as the filesystem doesn't support it. So I moved a deep "Documents" child folder to C:\ and deleted Windows.old. But if I try to delete "Documents" now, it gives the same error.

logicearth

Go to My Computer screen, right-click on the drive that has Windows.old > Properties.
Then hit the Disk Cleanup button, let it delete Windows.old.

noisyscanner

Okay it's just doing that now. I'll post the result.

noisyscanner

Right. Disk cleanup ran fine and when I went to do the "Clean up System Files" as well, that worked. BUT! I'm forgetting that the Windows.old folder is no longer there.
So I changed the directory structure back to how it was (C:\Windows.old\Users\Brad\Documents etc...) and now when I run "Clean up System Files", it freaks out and the disk cleanup application crashes within 2 seconds.

noisyscanner

You are someone else has fooled with permissions on the C:\ (System) drive to gain access to files and folders Microsoft does not want you to have access to. You or they have somehow killed all or some of the Junction points (Killed for the lack of a better term) making them into real folders, instead of virtual folders, and has cause a endless loop.

You may notice your hard drive filling up because of the endless loop recreating file and folders endlessly.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "Don't fool with mother nature"? Well there should be a big sign on the Win 7 system drive "Don't fool with permissions on the System drive, you'll be sorry".

HammerHead

It's been like it since day 1 when I upgraded Vista to Windows 7.

Guest

I would run dskchk on the drive.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
It's been like it since day 1 when I upgraded Vista to Windows 7.
If you open Windows Explorer and click on the Documents & Settings folder in the ROOT of the C drive do you get a popup windows that says "Location is not available" with a red circle and a X in it "Access is denied".
Or the same on some other folders like C:\Users\Default User, C:\Users\Application Data, or most of the folders in the Users folder that has a big curved arrow on it like a shortcut arrow?

If you don't then someone/thing has reset the security permissions.

What happens if you try to delete Windows.Old?

HammerHead

Read this thread especially post #2.

desktop folder not really a shortcut



noisyscanner

@Hammerhead: "Dskchk: Command not found".
@Shootish: There is no "Documents and Settings" folder in the root of C:\. I'm not on XP.

Orbital Shark

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
@Hammerhead: "Dskchk: Command not found".
@Shootish: There is no "Documents and Settings" folder in the root of C:\. I'm not on XP.
You are running XP and you have a Windows.old folder, which to my knowledge is what a upgrade install of Windows calls the the old windows folder, and you have NO Documents & Settings folder in the ROOT of the C:\drive and this endless folder is in the C:\Users folders of Windows.old.

What operating system did you have on this system before you put Windows XP on it?

Every install of XP I have ever seen, used or heard about had a Documents & Setting folder in the C:\ drive.

If you are running XP then why does your forum name have Windows Home Premium listed as your OS?

I'd say your computer if FUBAR.

noisyscanner

I found a very interesting article over on MS Support that may be well worth looking at.

logicearth

I had Vista before Windows 7.

noisyscanner

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
I had Vista before Windows 7.
Oh you said you are not on XP.

Ok you don't have Show hidden files & folder checked in folder options so you wouldn't see the junction point Docs & Settings.

I have nothing else.

Orbital Shark

Where did the OP said he was on Windows XP? I'm not seeing it.

Guest

Look at post #12.
Quote:
@Shootish: There is no "Documents and Settings" folder in the root of C:\. I'm not on XP.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Where did the OP said he was on Windows XP? I'm not seeing it.
He said he wasn't and I missed the NOT.

Guest

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
I found a very interesting article over on MS Support that may be well worth looking at.
In conjunction with this you may want to try the following...

1, Click All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
2, Right-click Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator

Now see if it grants full access to the deletion of the folder.

Also, you may want to see if you have better luck with the Built-In Admin Account.

noisyscanner

It crashes when I try to do disk cleanup on system files with "Disk Space Manager for Windows has stopped working".
That's when I run it as an administrator too.



noisyscanner

Quote:
I found a very interesting article over on MS Support that may be well worth looking at.
Tried that and it didn't work.

Orbital Shark

Well the only other option I can think of (other than a clean install) would be a Repair Install which works as an In-Place Upgrade and should move all non-essential files/folder to a new Windows.old folder (including those that are in the current Windows.old folder). This will then allow you to run the Disk Cleanup app to remove the windows.old folder.
Tip�� Tip
You may want to try renaming the Windows.old folder to another name so that the contents of it are also moved to the new windows.old folder. This will prevent a second .old folder being created

seekermeister

I had something like this happen when I first installed W7, after using takeownership on either Documents And Settings, or Application Data...I can't remember which. I ended up deleting the account and making a new one to rectify the problem.

HammerHead

If the files are cross linked this may fix them. Boot to a dos prompt and enter chkdsk /f. The system may make you schedule it for the next boot. So you will have to reboot. Maybe not.

Orbital Shark

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
If the files are cross linked this may fix them. Boot to a dos prompt and enter chkdsk /f. The system may make you schedule it for the next boot. So you will have to reboot. Maybe not.
Cross linked!! Why didn't I think of that? Good call

HammerHead

Seeker:
That happened to me in /Appdata dir. I navigated to the first what I considered copy of the directoy and deleted the rest of the ladder and everything came out fine. I also ran check disk to clean up the indexes.

HammerHead

Oribital Shark

Post #11 was refering to cross linking.

Orbital Shark


noisyscanner

Crosslinking? Please explain!

Orbital Shark

An old explainiation but still a good'un, reminds me of the good ol' DOS days

Quote:
What Are Cross-linked Files?

MS-DOS organizes the disk's data area into sections called clusters or allocation units. Each file has its own directory entry, which includes the file name, size, attribute information, date, time, and the cluster where the start of the file is stored.

The file allocation table (FAT) includes an entry for each cluster. Each cluster's entry includes either a code specifying that it is the last cluster in the file, or the number of the next cluster used by the file. Clusters can also be marked unusable, which CHKDSK reports as bad sectors.

Cross-linked files occur when two or more files are both marked as "owning" the same cluster. Usually, the last file updated is correct; the other is correct except for the cluster's worth that is part of the other file.

For example, suppose you have two files, each 512 bytes in size. Each file requires one cluster. If both files are marked as being located in cluster 5, then cluster 5 probably contains the file with the later date. You can confirm this by looking at it (if it's a data file) or running it (if it's a program).
Source



HammerHead

On your disks there exists indices of all the files stored. The directory tree is displayed or "written" form these indices. When these indices become corrupt or jumbled. You directory tree can show some files that do not exist or miss files that do exist. That is the best I can do for an explanation.

Oribital Shark's explanation is really a good one!

HammerHead

The Sharks are circling.

noisyscanner

I think I get what you're saying. So this is a hard drive thing, not a Windows thing?

MacGyvr

This absolutely is a case of permissions being altered, possibly even while the system was still on Vista.

Number one, upgrade was a huge mistake. Upgrades never go well and will get worse over time.

Number two, you won't be able to fix this problem. It is too complex.

In the time taken at this point to discuss it, you could have already backed up any important files and performed a full, clean install. This is what you will HAVE to do to have a functional system. Period. Get started.

noisyscanner

Will re-installing screw up my Ubuntu install?
And anyway, I'll have to wait until I get home before I can because I'm at my Mum's.

MacGyvr

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
Will re-installing screw up my Ubuntu install?
And anyway, I'll have to wait until I get home before I can because I'm at my Mum's.
I would recommend you not worry about the Ubuntu install unless it is your primary operating system. You need to format the drive to get your full, clean install of 7, so yes, it will kill it. Reinstall Ubuntu later.

noisyscanner

Well I'm debating on wheter to ditch Ubuntu all together actually as I keep having to boot into Windows to use iTunes for my new iPhone. So I'll probably just forget about Ubuntu.

MacGyvr

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
Well I'm debating on wheter to ditch Ubuntu all together actually as I keep having to boot into Windows to use iTunes for my new iPhone. So I'll probably just forget about Ubuntu.
You can always put it back....it takes like 20 minutes to install.

noisyscanner

I don't have a Windows 7 Install disk! Just a Toshiba upgrade disk. I popped that in and re-installed Windows 7 but all it did was wipe my programs and files and backup all my other stuff to Windows.old.000. Windows.old is still there!

johnnya

Have a look at this Tutorial. I hope it helps.

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
Regards
JohnnyA



noisyscanner

What's all this about a qulifying previous version of Windows?

johnnya

It simply means that you should have had a paid Windows Licence before. You apparently had because you had Vista installed before you purchased the Win 7 upgrade.

noisyscanner

Ah... I see. I'll give it a go tomorrow as I have the day off for the Royal Wedding.

noisyscanner

Have you checked the folders to see what's there? If you've no further use for the Windows.old folder you can get rid of it. Useful information below.

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?

MacGyvr

I pointed out in post #21 that this doesn't work. The disk cleanup application crashes. Endless, Infinite, Never Ending folder... How to delete?!

MacGyvr

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
You are someone else has fooled with permissions on the C:\ (System) drive to gain access to files and folders Microsoft does not want you to have access to. You or they have somehow killed all or some of the Junction points (Killed for the lack of a better term) making them into real folders, instead of virtual folders, and has cause a endless loop.

You may notice your hard drive filling up because of the endless loop recreating file and folders endlessly.

Have you ever heard of the phrase "Don't fool with mother nature"? Well there should be a big sign on the Win 7 system drive "Don't fool with permissions on the System drive, you'll be sorry".
You've made this sound like Microsoft is holding something hostage. The folders in question are not real folders. They are junction points to locations on the hard drive. The user CAN access everything in these locations, without changing any permissions.

You are correct that this is the cause of the problem, but the explanation is a bit shaky.

MacGyvr

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by noisyscanner View Post
I don't have a Windows 7 Install disk! Just a Toshiba upgrade disk. I popped that in and re-installed Windows 7 but all it did was wipe my programs and files and backup all my other stuff to Windows.old.000. Windows.old is still there!
You can do a clean install with the upgrade disk. Choose to format the drive before installing.

noisyscanner

To the OP. Use a utility boot disk (Hiren, Ultimate, etc.) to boot the computer and delete the folder. Even a bootable disk with Linux will work. This isn't difficult, and it's been going on too long!

Guest

@Macgyvr - I tried Linux and it didn't work. I haven't tried the others, though. I might do the "format disk" option on my upgrade disk. I didn't see it there but I miss things...

johnnya

Just 1 more thought NS. If the Win 7 Upgrade Disc was just a standard retail version with Win 7, you would also have to make sure you have all the drivers for your Toshiba. But I see by your earlier post "Toshiba upgrade disk" That you probably have this covered. Have a good day off and say hello to Kate & William for us all.
Regards
JohnnyA



noisyscanner

Oh I'm not going to the Royal Wedding if that's what you thought! It's just a public holiday here in England - so I get the day off. :P Anyways, I'm guessing the drivers installed automatically last time I tried anyway but they don't show up in the "Unistall a Program" windows like they did the last time. Everything is as normal though.

noisyscanner

Watched it all on TV in glorious high definition and have to say it was a right Royal occasion.

Just off to a street party to celebrate and right on cue the sun is shining.

noisyscanner

"Watched it all on TV in glorious high definition and have to say it was a right Royal occasion." - Sounds like an advert for BBC HD or Sky + HD or similar.

noisyscanner

You're right. It does, but I didn't intend it to.

I'm not an ardent Royalist, but my wife is, and it would have been rather churlish of me not to watch it with her.

noisyscanner

Very. I'm backing up my stuff (again... I changed my files around) for another re-install of Windows. Let's hope this works!

Guest

My fingers are crossed as we speak!

Guest

Right well don't keep them crossed all afternoon... This might take a while. :P

Guest

It worked! I didn't post last night because I was too tired... Anyways, all the folders in my C:\ drive now are Program files, Users and Windows. There was a "PerfLogs" folder but I found that this was safe to delete. Thanks for your help, guys! Have a good weekend!

Guest

Pleased to hear your problem is solved. Like yourself, I'm a recent recruit to WSF and very impressed with the quality of the help here.

Have a good weekend yourself too.

johnnya

Hi NS. Glad to see your re-install went well. Did you use the Clean Install Tutorial
I sent to you?
Regards
JohnnyA


Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét