Thứ Năm, 30 tháng 6, 2016

Has anyone installed a SSD Drive before? part 1


lister

Hi - has anyone cloned their HDD and then re-installed on a SSD HDD with/out issues?

Should I expect issues?

thanks!



myzr7

You may find some info that you want in this thread. SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7
Or this from the tutorial section. Good luck to you.
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

whs

If you follow the instructions above, you should have no problems. The most important actions are to align the SSD before the installation/cloning and to shut off disk Defrag after the installation ( usually the Win7 installer does that). If you do not use hibernation, it saves disk space to delete the hiberfile. All the rest of the recommendations are kind of optional. Some are even counterproductive - e.g. to shut off Superfetch, to move the pagefile to another drive, etc.).
If you need more details on the above, post back and ask.

lister

thanks for that.

So you should never defrag a SSD?

madtownidiot

exactly.. it's completely unnecessary to defrag a SSD, and in fact the defrag service is disabled by default when you install windows 7.. if you're cloning to a ssd, you should disable the defrag service and turn off the pagefile, but I would strongly advise you to do a fresh windows install when upgrading to a SSD

karlsnooks

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by lister View Post
Hi - has anyone cloned their HDD and then re-installed on a SSD HDD with/out issues? Should I expect issues?
thanks!
Yes.
No.

Issues can arise if you have more bits being actually used presently than you have space for on the SSD.

Post a copy of your present DiskManagement.
HOW TO POST A SNAPSHOT OF DISK MANAGEMENT DISPLAY

Run disk management:
WIN | type DISKMGMT.MSC | ENTER
WIN is the key with the wavy flag.

Maximize the output of Disk Management:
ALT Spacebar key combo | X key
Drag the field separators (such as between Status and Capacity) to show entire field.

Make a snapshot:
WIN | type SNIPPING | ENTER
Click the New button.
Drag the cursor around the area you want to snip.
File | Save as | select save location and name | Save button

Post the snapshot:
Screenshot - How to post

lister

Thanks a lot for your replies.

As you can see from the screenshot, I think it is possible to clone my hard drive and re-install onto a SSD - but it is going to be difficult.

The reason I think that is because the partitions are a mix of NTFS and ext4, (which is for linux....)

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

(The machine I would like to clone is a dual boot that shares a media folder, which is the D Drive)

whs

Just like to remind you again that you have to align the SSD before you clone stuff onto it. I just posted this little tutorial that may help SSD Alignment

With your mixed setup it may be the best to clone the Win7 partition first onto the whole drive and then shrink the resulting C partition to define additional partitions for the rest. You may have to use BEST FREE Partition Manager Software for Windows supports all 32-bit & 64 bit Windows No-server OS. to do that because Disk Management will not let you shrink the C partition enough to gain the required space.

Bare Foot Kid

Have a look at these tutorials at the links below for an out-line on the uses of the free Partition Wizard program.



Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Dual Boot : Create Partitions Using PWBD

Partition : Recover Space Used by an Older OS

lister

Great thanks again guys, your assistance is invaluable. I will let you know how I get on....

Thanks -

habibi

How much of a speed improvements does SSD provide? Significant enough to purchase and install one?



Bare Foot Kid

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
How much of a speed improvements does SSD provide? Significant enough to purchase and install one?

Yes.

whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
How much of a speed improvements does SSD provide? Significant enough to purchase and install one?
Absolutely, it is a world of difference.

madtownidiot

With a SSD, programs usually load 2-3x faster than with the average HDD. I can usually get the average laptop with a SSD to boot in less than 15 seconds.

mpcrsc562

I would just say to take and extra 5 to 10 minutes after installing the SSD to make sure certain features of Windows that are not need with an SSD are in fact disabled. On my three systems that I have installed an SSD in, none of them automatically disabled the Degrag service.

I just say to spend a little time to be safe and protect that SSD from premature wear-out.

Wishmaster

If going from a regualar HD to a SSD, I would highly recommend just doing a clean install.
Its truly easier in the long run.

True, it is very possible to clone or Image over, but theres a high probability of alignment issues. Although they can be fixed easily enough, as already stated.
You will not have this issue however later if you are re-imaging a Image of the SSD back to the SSD. Its just HD --> SSD it can happen.


The defrag service does not get disabled. Only the SSD is excluded from Automatic defragmentation.

After you are up and running, run the WEI.
At that point, if you look at the Disk Defragmenter, you will see that it is running as it normally would be.
However, if you look at the section Configure Scedule --> Configure disks,

You will find the only disk included for automatic defragmenting are Spinning dives and the SSDs have been removed, are no longer listed.


While Windows Defragmenter is not good for the SSD, by consolodating Free space can and does help the SSD.
BUT, the only 2 programs I know that can safely do this are Perfect Disk & Diskeeper (with the Hyperfast add on)

I use Perfect Disc Consoldate on mine every 4-6 weeks or so.

I just wouldn't run it often, but when done in moderation, it does help them.

habibi

Pardon my ignorance but I have a few questions on SSD:
1. I am looking at the store catalogue of a local store. SSD only comes in 2.5"? They termed it Notebook harddisk but I suppose I can also use it on a desktop. Do you install in the floppy disk bay? What about power? Does it use the 4-pin connector or the floppy disk power?

2. Since scheduled defrag is disable by default to prolong the lifespan of the disk, should we also disable schduled Windows Defender or AV so they don't scan the disk?

Wishmaster

Reads do not wear a SSD.

The wear come from the writes. (Actually its the erase cycle)

But I wouldnt worry all that much about it, as its effect is all blown out of proportion.

Unless you erase and re-image the entire Full drive twice a day, every day for 5 yrs straight, then you might wear it out.

karlsnooks

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Pardon my ignorance but I have a few questions on SSD:
1. I am looking at the store catalogue of a local store. SSD only comes in 2.5"? They termed it Notebook harddisk but I suppose I can also use it on a desktop. Do you install in the floppy disk bay? What about power? Does it use the 4-pin connector or the floppy disk power?

2. Since scheduled defrag is disable by default to prolong the lifespan of the disk, should we also disable schduled Windows Defender or AV so they don't scan the disk?
To question 1)
In the package with the SSD will be an adapter to make mounting in a normal hdd slot easy.

To number 2)
Actually with Win 7, defrag and indexing are going to be disabled for you and will only be performed "on demand".
If you use CCleaner uncheck the wipe free space option for the SSD.

habibi

Ah, thanks... so if it is the write which will wear the SSD, we should move the pagefile.sys to the spinning drive then, is that the best practice?

karlsnooks

Don't sweat the small stuff. The write "problem" is grossly over exaggeratied. Put the page file on the ssd or anywhere or do like me and just don't worry about messing around with it.



madtownidiot

FYI the defrag service is not disabled to prolong the life of a SSD. It's disabled because it will never be necessary. Even if an image of a system partition in which every sector was a fragment of a different file were moved to a SSD it wouldn't be any slower than a clean 1st install.

tw33k

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks View Post
do like me and just don't worry about messing around with it.
+1. Like I posted in another thread...People need to learn to leave Windows 7 alone. It is not XP.

whs

Moving the pagefile off the SSD is defeating the purpose of the fast SSD. I have never done that and never encountered any problems. Your SSD will last a lot longer than you will care to keep it. So I would not worry.

Regarding the 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor, here is an example: Newegg.com - OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT Solid State Drive 3.5" Adaptor Bracket

Bare Foot Kid

I didn't spend money for an adapter, I used some velcro to "attach" the SSD to the case, works a treat.

karlsnooks

Mine came withe an adapter which I didn't need so gave to my favorite computer repair shop.

whs

If there is a 3.5" bay which is easily accessible, I would recommend the bracket that sells for less than $10. But that is not always the case. I had to resort to Velcro in one of my boxes too (dumb Dell).

madtownidiot

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If there is a 3.5" bay which is easily accessible, I would recommend the bracket that sells for less than $10. But that is not always the case. I had to resort to Velcro in one of my boxes too (dumb Dell).
nothing wrong with that... I once used velcro to add 4 more HDDs to an atx box I was using for all my back up files

habibi

All these talks are really pysching me up to get a SSD.. I will save more $. Thanks guys!

karlsnooks

What have we done?

Just joking, you will not regret the decision.

Glad that we could help.

habibi

Intel just announced new SSD specs! Hope the older ones will be cheaper!



habibi

I finally bought the intel x-25M 120GB SSD yesterday. Plugged it into my PC via Sata, boot Windows 7 Ultimate from DVD and installed directly to it. I have a couple of questions:

1. I didn't format or create new partition from the Windows installation menu. I just chose it and it continues to install. So, is the drive aligned properly then? This thread gave me the impression that there's still some stuff I need to do. I was hoping Win 7 would take care of it.

2. I just realized this morning that I didn't plug the SSD into SATA port 0 or 1. I just plugged into the next available port (port 5). Does it matter? There was some discussion on the 'Net about Win 7 TRIM only works if it is port 0 and 1. If that is the case, can I just plug it into port 0 and 1 WITHOUT having to reinstall? Will it just work?

3. I didn't enable AHCI in BIOS and I'm not sure if it was enabled (at work now).. I guess I could just go back and enable it, right?

Anyway, while the experience of SSD is snappy once Windows start running, I didn't find a significant boot time improvement over Win 7 on spinny drives. I also heard that my spinny drives start turning during boot time and I wonder why is that - this could explain the lack of significant improvements during boot. Any advice?

whs

Hmm, strange that your boot time did not improve. Check with Soluto what is holding it up. The information I get from Soluto about my 90GB OCZ Vertex2 is in the picture below - if my arithmetic is right, that corresponds to 16 seconds. And I am not even running in AHCI mode because this dumb Sony laptop does not let you change anything in the BIOS.

In principle the Win7 installer should align your SSD, but you never know, Check it - instructions here: SSD Alignment

PS; the spinning disk is started by the BIOS. So that is no reason for concern.

habibi

Thanks, whs.. I will definitely try out Soluto. That's a neat tool. Just this morning I also discovered SpaceSniffer.. another cool tool to map pictorially your directory sizes. It allows you to know which directory took up the biggest HDD space. Useful to sniff out the small SSD to optimize it.

BTW, do you know if I could just enabled ACHI in BIOS without needing to reinstall Win 7 into the SSD? Or can recable the drive into a different SATA port?

whs

1. I would enable AHCI before the installation. And then see this: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

2. Yeah, I know space sniffer. But I use WinDirStat which is a lot better (and more fun) - I think.

BTW: 120GB is really large for the OS. I have 2x60GB, 2x80GB and 1x90GB and never ran out of space. And 3 of those are on laptops with only 1 disk. It is only a matter of organization. I do, however, have 8 external disks and a box full of USB sticks that I use extensively.

Another tip: Download this .zip folder where you find a comprehensive tutorial I made for the installation of an SSD and the OS. You may find that useful: Install an SSD and transfer the Operating System.zip - Windows Live

habibi

Great guide in the zip file and the 'enable ACHI after Win 7 installation'. I have done just that and enabled ACHI. Yay.

Edit: WOW, after I enabled ACHI, my WEI index for the HDD went from 7.5 to 7.7. Excellent!

In your guide, you said to ignore other tweaking from other websites. I am inclined to follow your advice (and I am lazy) - but what about TEMP variables? Should I move it elsewhere?

Bare Foot Kid

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Great guide in the zip file and the 'enable ACHI after Win 7 installation'. I have done just that and enabled ACHI. Yay.

Edit: WOW, after I enabled ACHI, my WEI index for the HDD went from 7.5 to 7.7. Excellent!

In your guide, you said to ignore other tweaking from other websites. I am inclined to follow your advice (and I am lazy) - but what about TEMP variables? Should I move it elsewhere?
Hello.


Here's some other ideas, especially numbers 8 & 9 if you don't use them though I advise against completely disabling System Restore, just trim its "used storage space" to about 4GB in case you ever need it.

How to Free Up and Recover Hard Drive Space


If you ever have startup issues and the SSD is not connected to SATA port # 0/1 whichever is the first port on your motherboard, post a snip of disk management from the SSD OS and describe what is what, so we can look at it.

Note�� Note

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a snip of that.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Great guide in the zip file and the 'enable ACHI after Win 7 installation'. I have done just that and enabled ACHI. Yay.

Edit: WOW, after I enabled ACHI, my WEI index for the HDD went from 7.5 to 7.7. Excellent!

In your guide, you said to ignore other tweaking from other websites. I am inclined to follow your advice (and I am lazy) - but what about TEMP variables? Should I move it elsewhere?
I guess you could move those. I never do. If you are very skilled, you can, of course, make a few more tweaks to get another half percent more performance. When I wrote the guide, I had the average user in mind and did not want him to get into trouble by applying tweaks he does not understand for a very nominal gain.

habibi

Hmm, I have a problem. iTunes backup my iPhone data into c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming... and it is about 16gb per backup and there can be a few backups at a time! My SSD is going to run out of space soon!! What can I do? Good idea to map c:\user files to another drive?

NessPJ

Can't you simply tell iTunes to use a different location for those backups?

whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Hmm, I have a problem. iTunes backup my iPhone data into c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming... and it is about 16gb per backup and there can be a few backups at a time! My SSD is going to run out of space soon!! What can I do? Good idea to map c:\user files to another drive?
You can move the Roaming folder to the HDD. The Roaming folder has a Location tab in Properties - use that.

The funny part is that all three Appdata subfolders can be moved with the location tab, but not Appdata itself.,



habibi

Awesome! That works, whs! THANK YOU!

whs

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Awesome! That works, whs! THANK YOU!
You are welcome.

habibi

In my BIOS setting, I have the following lines:
1. "SATA RAID/ACHI Mode" - which I have changed to AHCI, following whs' tutorial

2. "SATA Port0-1 Native Mode". I choose the option Enable. It means I am using Native IDE. I read that if I'm running Win 7, I should use Native IDE (as opposed to Legacy IDE)

3. A few lines below, I see a "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode". The 3 options are IDE, AHCI or RAID/IDE.
What is this Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode?
If I change it to AHCI, the following happens:
- my DVD ROM and one harddisk disappear from Windows.
- the intel SSD seems to hang

So I reverted it back to IDE and it seems to work fine.
But if I have to change to AHCI in (1), shouldn't I change to AHCI in (3) to make my SSD perform better. On the other hand, it turning it on slows it down. Does anyone know what that line is for?

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét