Thứ Năm, 30 tháng 6, 2016

Wacom Tablet, ring round pen cursor part 1


MBernard

I use an Intuos Wacom Tablet in Photoshop CS4 x64, and I've been driven crazy by an animated ring that appears when I touch the pen tip to a menu or slider. It made my movements much less precise. E.g. when I tried to drag a slider a short distance (say, 100% opacity to 95%), the pen wouldn't grab the slider at first; and then it would make much too big an adjustment (100% to 50%...).

I've now tracked down the solution, posted on the EU Wacom forum 2 days ago:Wacom Forum - Wacom Europe GmbH | View topic - small annoying things on vista...

Here's what it says:

"Vista has the 'pen inking' from XP TabletPC edition integrated, allowing gesture and handwriting recognition. You can control the settings in a special control panel for this, called 'TabletPC Input' panel. [Pen and Touch, W7.]
*Disable 'Press and Hold' to remove that circle.*

"You could also disable the service 'TabletPC Input Service' or go to device manager, select Human Interface Devices' and disable WacomVirtualHID.*

"Then Vista does not see a pen devices and will not activate those features. The tablet will still work fine on desktop and in usual pressure sensitive applications."

I had already disabled the tablet PC in Services, but apparently that wasn't enough. I disabled Press & Hold, and the ring has vanished.

This is probably well known to Wacom/Photoshop users who migrated to Windows 7 from Vista, but I migrated from XPPro, and the info was tolerably hard to find online, so I'm posting it here in case anyone finds it useful.

Mary



carioca

Thanks for the info! I have an old Wacom 12x12 tablet and am thinking of using it with Win7...

copernicus

It's not a problem it's an option to duplicate right clicking by "click and hold".

kestrel

Any idea on how to get rid of the splash mark on pen taps?
Name:  pen tap.JPG  Views: 548  Size:  32.9 KB

copernicus

Yeah, there's a setting somewhere in the touch panel. I'm not on my touch computer right now, but I'll check later.

kestrel

Fantastic. Can't wait to hear back.

Griff

Anyone find out how to remove the splash animation yet? ive disabled all my mouse options and its still there when i use my pen. drivin my nuts.

darkassain

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Anyone find out how to remove the splash animation yet? ive disabled all my mouse options and its still there when i use my pen. drivin my nuts.
it should be in your tablet pc options (you must install your touch/Pen drivers first to have this ability if recall)

i had it installed but it completly messed up my configuration so now im awaiting for either wacom or HP to fix this...

kestrel

It's not a wacom issue. This same splashing graphic occurs for my Adesso tablet. It is a windows feature (setting? maybe, seems permanent to me). I can get it to disappear if I uninstall the tablet functionality.
as in --> Control panel--->Add remove programs --> Windows Components/ Turn windows features on and off---> Tablet PC components.

I consider this akin to killing the patient as it disables all windows tablet functionality such as inking in word/excel and the tablet input panel. I have yet to find a setting to turn this damn thing off.

copernicus

The ring and the splash will disappear if you change your tablet settings from "pen" to "mouse" mode after you install the wacom drivers.

My touch screen had a mouse/touch setting as well. Once I switched the "droplet" disappeared.

On my Wacom tablet, both disappeared because my pen has "buttons" on it to replicate the double click/right click.

So Install the drivers ->control panle -> Pen & Tablet Properties -> Tracking mode to Mouse instead of pen.

kestrel

There is one small problem with that. I need the pen mode for my work. Try writing your name in mouse mode!

I have another update. I received an evaluation copy of the Wacom tablet. Very briefly the splashes came back... until I re enabled tablet mode. Ctrlpanel->Add/remove windows components-->Tablet PC components.

So now i have this situation
A) When Tablet PC components are installed
Adesso tablet experiences splash marks...
Wacom tablet does not...
B) When Tablet PC components are not installed
Wacom tablet experiences splash marks...
Adesso tablet does not...

Color that bizarre.



copernicus

That sucks, I haven't really used my tablet for writing purposes so I never noticed, heh.

tscoffee115

Can you give some more sample question and answers. How great your info is! It really useful for me. Thanks.


calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier - Taux emprunt immobilier. Comparez les offres d�emprunt immobilier, simulation emprunt immobilier, taux emprunt immobiliercalcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier

Restroom

I found the registry locations responsible for these animations, which in previous versions were referred to as "Dynamic Pen Feedback." It's all controlled by WISP, the Windows Inking Services Platform, and there is a section which enumerates WISP settings which is mirrored in these three locations across the registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters
HKUS\**\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters

If you're new to working with the registry, and you don't know what that means, let me know and I'll make a deployable reg patch you can just double-click. No time tonight though. Anyway:

Concerning this topic, I think the only values that control the splash and other animations are Splash and UIFeedbackMode, which you should set to (decimal) 0. If you have UAC on it's going to give you fits, as usual, and likely one of those branches is going to tell you you don't have permission in any case, so you'll need to give yourself permission for that key.

Also interesting is how many other awful things the default WISP settings impart to pen functionality. I went through and set almost everything in those keys to 0, because on the desktop I never use handwriting input or Flicks and I sure don't need these settings confounding the rather delicate setup I impart through the Wacom driver and some applications like Painter which add yet another level of fine tweaking to the whole process.
Take a look at the (mostly) self-explanatory value names under those keys and you might notice that things like WaitTime and HoldMode may also be impacting the responsiveness of your tablet pen in various applications.
Also, I've noticed that by default (under \Wisp\MultiTouch) Win7 just assumes that you're using multitouch capabilities when you enable tablet functionality, which could cock things up royally for multiple-tool users.

kestrel

Great. I'll dig through keys when I have the time.

kestrel

Ok.
You know what, this just hit the top of my todo list. So I make screen captures for a living. I ended up getting rid of hte problem awhile back by clean installing windows. Just today the splash marks came back when I opened the input panel for the first time. I can't get rid of them. I need the inking tools so I can mark up word. But the cursor splashing is unacceptable for making screen recordings.

I tried going through and modifying the registry and did indeed hit a wall with UAC. I am the administrator/owner of this machine and i still can't figure out how to get around this nonsense. I can't earn money until this gets cleared up. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mike.

Restroom

Well, unfortunately I disable UAC as about the first step after an install, so I'm not sure exactly where UAC will be interfering, but I can walk you through taking permissions manually for the reg branch you'll be modifying. It's really simple: you right-click on the key (the folder on the left pane containing the values on the right) and select Permissions, then click the Advanced button, go to the Ownership tab (I'm writing this from memory on an XP machine, so forgive me if my labels aren't accurate), and change the owner to your user account name. OK out of that, go back and grant full permissions to yourself, OK out of the window. You can then modify all the values; after you've done that close regedit, log off and log back in, all the changes shuld stick.

If that doesn't work, let me know, I'll hop on the Win7 machine and give precise instructions.

Restroom

Oh yeah, one other update, for those who, like me, set almost everything to zero and also use the Mouse Gestures add-on in IE8 - there may be some compatibility issues here as IE8 accesses those keys and if you use rocker gestures the rightclick menu gets triggered on a rocker gesture, which is annoying. I solved this (stopgap) by uninstalling Win7's Tablet PC components (again, I don't use the handwriting input on that machine), and all seems to be well, but until I have the time to go through and determine precisely what each value translates to, this is a pretty rare issue for a major fix so I'm not going to worry much about it.

kestrel

Thanks on the instructions for the permissions!

I went through and changed all the keys using the find and find next functions.

First I tried just the "Splash" and "UIFeedbackMode" keys. Setting all of those equal to 0, I rebooted, to no effect. The splash marks are still there.

Then I tried setting additional keys equal to 0. I haven't gotten through them all yet, but I still haven't managed to find the proper key. You sure it wasn't another key?
Mike

juzerneem

  1. Open Local Group Policy Editor:Run... gpedit.msc
  2. Navigate to User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Tablet PC - Cursors
  3. Enable the Turn off pen feedback setting.
finally!!

Therapix

Thanks! It was driving me insane!!!! 1st post is the way to go for Graphire4



BDuff

Just found a much easier way to turn off those frigging annoying rings.

See I just tried doing the "gpedit.msc" program, but it wasn't loading the "snap" right or whatever it's supposed to be doing. And I didn't really think surgically editing every entry in the Registry would be a very wise thing to do, unless you're a really deep Windows registry editing type of person.

So here's what I just did for Windows 7 on my Wacom Intuos3 :

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Scroll down to Tablet PC Input Service (Not TabletServiceWacom) -> Stop Service.

It's also set to start Automatically, so you may want to turn that off so it doesn't bother you again. Just right click on the Tablet PC Input Service -> Properties -> Change Startup Type to Disabled.

I'm sure it'll be a whole bunch easier for everyone that way.

Cheers!!

UPDATE: If you want to be an insane person, you can just restart the service and the splash rings will come back.... Good way to annoy the uninformed.

deanimate

just wanted to post here and say i was having the same darn problem. couldn't believe they would include such a feature without an option being readily available to disable it.
crazy.
anyway the services.msc trick worked for me. the click and hold disable didn't do anything but hey the stupid feature has gone now so job done

might have to frequent these forums more frequently. some useful stuff here

chinggay

BDuff, thanks for the very useful information

the rippling circles were very annoying and i've been searching insanely for answers ever since i had my tablet.. D:

thanks again!

jaeger

Hi

Is there any way of keeping the tablet functions, but turning off the ring round the cursor, with Win 7 Home Premium? I couldn't find the Group Policy Editor - my understanding is that this is only available on Pro and Ultimate.

I've turned off the tablet service completely at the moment, but would like to have the tablet functionality if possible, except for that annoying ring.

Using Wacom Intuos 3.

Thanks in advance

MBernard

Jaeger

There are various things you can do; I've done most of them, to get the ring off the cursor, and also get rid of the palette that turns up on screen offering handwriting options (I'm not sure what it's called; it's some time since I've seen it. Here are various things I've done. They may or may not work for you, because I've got W7 ultimate, and have also done the Group Policy fix. But it's worth a try.

-----In Ctrl Panel there's a Pen & touch applet. On the Pen Options tab, click Settings, and unclick 'enable start input panel gesture'. On the Flicks tab, unclick 'Use flicks' and 'Display flicks' (this is at the bottom).

-----You probably have a Services thing in W7 home premium: right click My Computer, click Manage. In the Comp. Mgmt. pane, on lhs bottom: Services. Go down to Tablet PC Input Service. In the column Startup Type, it probably says 'automatic'. Double click anywhere in the line. Change Startup Type to: Disabled.
Just below it should be TabletServiceWacom.... It should say Automatic. If it doesn't, change it to Automatic.

----Finally, here is a registry fix that I found online and copied to my computer notes. I've lost track of who wrote it, so I'm quoting without credit (apologies to the author):

>>>I found the registry locations responsible for these animations, which in previous versions were referred to as "Dynamic Pen Feedback." It's all controlled by WISP, the Windows Inking Services Platform, and there is a section which enumerates WISP settings which is mirrored in these three locations across the registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters
HKUS\**\Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wisp\Pen\SysEventParameters

>>I think the only values that control the splash and other animations are Splash and UIFeedbackMode, which you should set to (decimal) 0. If you have UAC on it's going to give you fits, as usual, and likely one of those branches is going to tell you you don't have permission in any case, so you'll need to give yourself permission for that key.<<

I haven't tried this fix myself, because the Group Policy, Services and Ctrl Panel routes worked for me, and I only edit the registry when all else fails (taking a backup first!).

I hope one of these, or a combination, works for you.

Mary

jaeger

Thanks for the advice. There does seem to be some inconsistency in the way this is implemented, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that some MS-provided tablet features were still there after I disabled the tablet in the services. I'm going to go back through the full feature list and see if there's anything I want that's currently disabled, and go with the registry tweak if necessary. Otherwise, I'll wait and see what happens (if anything) in SR1.

There's a lot of cool features in their tablet implementation (and it's definitely better than just the straight Wacom functionality). It would be good if they do make it easier to tweak in the future.

- Jaeger

laura

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by BDuff View Post
Just found a much easier way to turn off those frigging annoying rings.

See I just tried doing the "gpedit.msc" program, but it wasn't loading the "snap" right or whatever it's supposed to be doing. And I didn't really think surgically editing every entry in the Registry would be a very wise thing to do, unless you're a really deep Windows registry editing type of person.

So here's what I just did for Windows 7 on my Wacom Intuos3 :

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Scroll down to Tablet PC Input Service (Not TabletServiceWacom) -> Stop Service.

It's also set to start Automatically, so you may want to turn that off so it doesn't bother you again. Just right click on the Tablet PC Input Service -> Properties -> Change Startup Type to Disabled.

I'm sure it'll be a whole bunch easier for everyone that way.

Cheers!!

UPDATE: If you want to be an insane person, you can just restart the service and the splash rings will come back.... Good way to annoy the uninformed.

This worked for me the first time until I used Windows 7 Snipping Tool. Then it came right back without changing the settings. I had to use the gpedit solution. I sure hope they find a way to make this easier to find and implement. I use my Graphire as a mouse. I can't even use a mouse anymore. I just use my Wacom---my Intuos I use for Photoshop, but the Graphire is my normal navigation tool.

Thanks for finding solutions to this massively annoying problem.

rab

Can somebody please tell me how to get to the "turn off pen feedback" screen in Windows 7 home premium?

Thank you.

illpoetic

You really have to watch it if you disable the TabletInputPC service!!! My HP Pavilions have been acting silly since I took this advice and disabled them, in order for my Cintiq/Pen to work without those stupid rings. What happens to me, on 2 PCs, is the USB keyboard starts flaking out and none of the characters I type correspond to the correct keys- although the pen works just fine, of course! You'll end up typing gibberish in Windows 7 on these HP machines, and the wrong combo could enable the SLEEP command of your PC!!! When I re-enable the service, the typing straightens itself out shortly after. Seriously it is not instantaneous, it takes a few open and closes of Notepad, and typing, to sort the keyboard back out. We need a solid resolution that ring is seriously annoying, considering that I draw art with this Cintiq 21ux and the ring is terrible for that! Someone get back to me if there is a less intrusive method to do this.

siddav

thanks a million. i migrated from vista today and this was exactly what led me to this forum.



kestrel

I find it amusing how Microsoft and Apple have practically declared this year to be the dawn of the touch OS and tablet PC and yet we can't do something as simple as turn off a cursor animation without digging around and disabling core services.

mstewar1

I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread and get no love at all -- the annoying circles just won't go away. It's really just so weak that they'd put a "feature" such as this in the operating system and give no clean, simple means to turn it the heck off! I am stuck, I just have to put up with it. Not happy at all.

illpoetic

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by mstewar1 View Post
I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread and get no love at all -- the annoying circles just won't go away. It's really just so weak that they'd put a "feature" such as this in the operating system and give no clean, simple means to turn it the heck off! I am stuck, I just have to put up with it. Not happy at all.
The only way is to disable the Tablet PC service, but leave enabled the Wacom service, from SERVICES section. Sometimes, that has a bad effect on other applications, and you lose pen control, when working with certain applications. ON 2 of my machines, when I disable the Tablet PC service, and open, then close MS Paint, for instance, the cursor no longer responds. With the latest Wacom drivers, if I take the pen off screen (I have a cintiq and Intuos), just to the right of the cursor buried in the top right corner, then come back on screen, the pen will resume. Other times, like using Manga Studio, the pen draw stupid lines that I don't want, with Tablet PC disabled. So use at your own discretion.

kestrel

If you have Windows 7 pro or ultimate this will solve the problem:
Wacom Tablet, ring round pen cursor

If you do not, you have to disable the PC input service:

Wacom Tablet, ring round pen cursor

userq

The solution is here:
Configuring Windows 7 and your Pressure-Sensitive tablet to avoid cursor "ring�? animations (a.k.a "Dynamic feedback�?) - Saveen Reddy's blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

This is a very serious article which in detail explain how to get rid of the annoying ripples/rings.

The problem is a typical Microsoft kind of problem, very frustrating, time consuming and so unnecessary. It destroys Your productivity and is impossible to turn of in win 7 for people with ordinary win7-OS-knowlegde.

thegray

I spent a few hours researching this issue last night and discovered that the Splash Animation(as well as a few other annoying features) stem from the WISP Application that runs in the background. There are no permanent fixes other than to disable the WISP operations. In Windows 7, you'll need to gain file ownership to C:\Windows\System32\wisptis.exe from there, you can simply disable and rename the file.
However this process proved to be much easier by locating the file through Linux, which required no file permissions in order to alter.
Upon rebooting in Windows 7, everything resumed normally, without the little splash animation that causes so much hell for tablet and touch screen users.

I have to say that I'm not certain why Microsoft decided that it was a good idea to use this WISP feature (without a legitimate means to disable it).

lux

Try remove Microsoft Silverlight on "ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS".
I had this operation on WINDOWS XP 64 and sorted out.

Regards

mgspeed

I had this problem several months ago and the registry hack finally did the trick BUT then it came back, and the system wouldn't let me changed the values in the registry! Renaming the wisp file name in C:\Windows\System32\wisptis.exe to "annoyingwisptis" did the trick on restart. Simple fix, and the file is still there in case I find some reason why I have to have it later. And no, I didn't have to hunt for the file in Linux, but I do have windows show all files including those pesky system files.

artie1977

Hi ! I'm a XP user. Does anybody know how to remove the ring (actually a star) on XP ?
Thanks in advance !

Britton30

Welcome to the forum artie1977.
Read down through this thread and check to see if your XP has a similar Touch PC service running and try the disable trick they used for Vista and Win7. It's been awhile since I've used XP and I don't remember if it does or not.
This one seems to have info, but again it is for 7.



artie1977

Thanks Britton30 !

I've red all the posts, but they were all concerning Vista or 7 (I know...I'm a dinosaur, but I've never got used to further versions than XP).
Anyway, I've found in another forum the name of the file to kill : it's "wacom virtual hid driver". In the control panel, you have to "show the hidden files" or something (Sorry, I'm french, so I can't translate all the terms).And the, the wacom virtual hid driver appears in the users interface list (And you have to erase it and reboot).
The solution is here : www.cfsl.net - Communaut� Cr�ative &bull; Voir le sujet - Windows 7, CS4 et wacom: probl�me de pression [RESOLU]

Maybe it could help some XP user someday...

Anyway, thanks for your reply !
Arthur

laura

Mainly it's Windows 7 cures because this is a Windows 7 forum. You're still on XP? I went from XP to W7, never did detour through Vista.

I don't remember my Wacom having any issues in XP at all. It was only when I went to 7 that ridiculous rotating ring got in the way of everything. It was massively annoying in ZBrush and a few other 3D apps. It's really difficult to sculpt 3Dmesh when your cursor is being cute and unmanageable.

AndyLeVien

Thanks to everyone for getting rid of the rings, but how can I prevent the pen cursor from displaying modifier keys when I use them. I know I'm pressing it, stop telling me!

claytondb

After trying most of the things in this thread, I finally found out how to disable the annoying ripple on another site. It's actually pretty simple.
Go into services.msc, stop the Tablet PC Input Service, and then right-click it and go into Properties. Where it says "Startup Type" change it to "Disabled".
NOW here's the important part: Reinstall the drivers for your tablet. I uninstalled mine first and then reinstalled them just to be safe. Reboot. The end.

The reason I had to do it this way was because I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. It works!

vini andrade

hope this works for you guys:

windows 7 ultimate:

control pannel - on the search bar type - policy, then chose de link edit group policy
- administrative templates
- windows components
- tablet pc
- cursors
- turn off pen feedback
- double click en change from not defined to enable...apply and exit.
done!

Reshig

Quote�� Quote: Originally Posted by claytondb View Post
After trying most of the things in this thread, I finally found out how to disable the annoying ripple on another site. It's actually pretty simple.
Go into services.msc, stop the Tablet PC Input Service, and then right-click it and go into Properties. Where it says "Startup Type" change it to "Disabled".
NOW here's the important part: Reinstall the drivers for your tablet. I uninstalled mine first and then reinstalled them just to be safe. Reboot. The end.

The reason I had to do it this way was because I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. It works!

Thank you, claytondb! I couldn't stop the ripple effect just by disabling the Tablet PC Input Service. I had to disable the service as well as UNINSTALL the Wacom tablet drivers before reinstalling them again. Only then did it work. So yes, that really is the important part!

Thanks again!

Iblis

Thank you for this. Great help.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét